The work of the Council on Inclusion and Diversity (CID) has been incorporated into a new umbrella structure promoting inclusive excellence: DEAL. CID was the successor to PACIE and sought to engage the entire Wheaton College community in the important work related to diversity and inclusion. CID was a campus-wide leadership team made up of students, faculty and staff working to create a community that is welcoming and supportive of each of its members.
The CID had three themes that guided its work:
People: To foster increased diversity among faculty, staff and students.
Environment: To create an environment on campus that embraces the rights of all to a safe place to work, study and live, and that challenges all members of the community to grow in our understanding and appreciation of our diversity.
Beyond campus: To connect with issues around diversity and inclusion in the world outside of Wheaton.
CID also worked to:
- Host an MLK Interfaith Service
- Support BSA events for Black History Month
- Host faculty forums on classroom challenges
- Fund opportunities for faculty and staff diversity and inclusion initiatives.
CID Members 2017 – 2018
- Raquel Ramos, Marshall Center for Intercultural Learning, Co-chair
- Dolita Cathcart, History, Co-chair
- Abigail Cohen, Academic Advising
- Nancy Evans, Classics
- Peony Fhagen, Psychology
- Alida Gomez, Center for Global Education
- Dennis Hanno, President
- Kate Lucas, Human Resources
- Shaya Gregory Poku, Center for Social Justice & Community Impact
- John Sutyak, Athletics
- Donnie Taveras, Residential Life
- Olivia Benissan ’19
- James Gowen ’18
- Musa Ali ’18
- Zelda Zhao ’18