During times of the Academic Year when class is not in session, housing and dining services are limited. This means that most students leave campus and many of the usual student services are not available.
During these times, housing is still available for students that qualify. Each break is different. The chart below provides a snapshot, and more detail for each break is further down on the page (including how to request a stay).
Dining locations will have limited hours and in some cases may not be open at all. As these periods are typically not considered part of the Academic Year, your student Meal Plan is not in effect. Please consult with Dining Services with specific questions, open locations and schedules.
Residential Life reserves the right to deny Break Housing for any reason.
|Break||Housing Qualifications*||Dining||Housing Cost|
|Winter Break 1 (End of Fall – Jan 2)||
||Limited, Food Pantry||$200**|
|Winter Break 2 (Jan 3 – Start of Spring)||
||Yes, for approved residents||$300**|
*Students must be in good social standing with the College to qualify.
**Fee is automatically waived for students participating in Wheaton-related program/activity. Students with financial need can apply for a waiver through Student Financial Services (details below)
Dining During Breaks
During break periods dining facilities will operate on a special schedule. Operating times for each location will be emailed to the campus community by Dining Services and can be found on the Dining Services webpage.
Breaks that are classified to have “Limited” service fall outside of the Meal Plan contract. During these times facilities will have a more limited schedule. Food is available for purchase, but Lyon swipes and Lyons Bucks that are allocated with your Meal Plan cannot be used. Accepted Forms of Payment: Cash, Credit and Lyons Bucks that have been purchased and added to your account outside of the meal plan.
A more detailed explanation of hall break policy and qualifications is below. All Dates subject to change year to year and are dependent on the College calendar.
Please be aware that during breaks some offices and other services will be limited or be closed entirely. Additionally, during this time general maintenance and other projects that may otherwise adversely impact normal operation could be scheduled. This includes Residence Halls and may directly impact student rooms. We will do our best to communicate to those on-campus when such instances will occur.
October Break is from the Saturday through the Tuesday of Indigenous Peoples Day weekend.
- Halls do not close, no registration required
Thanksgiving Break begins the Tuesday night prior to Thanksgiving and re-open the Sunday after.
- Residents whose permanent address is more than 500+ miles away can request approval to remain on campus.
- Meal plan is not available and most dining locations will be closed. Dining Services will be offering very limited hours and items must be purchased outside of the meal plan.
To request a stay:
Requests to stay on campus for any portion of this break, including late departure and early arrivals, can be made by a student using an electronic form emailed to the community in early November.
Winter Break 1
Winter Break 1 begins the Saturday night at the end of finals week through January 2nd.
- During the majority of this period the Wheaton campus is closed and no administrative offices are open.
- Meal plan is not available and most dining locations will be closed. Dining Services may be offering very limited hours and items must be purchased outside of the meal plan. There is also a food pantry available for those living on campus over the break.
- $200 charge that will be waived for qualified in-season athletes. Other students may apply for a fee waiver with SFS. To apply for a fee waiver, you must be a recipient of substantial financial aid during the academic year. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, justification for the waiver, and reason for staying on campus during the break.
We know that some of our students may not have the ability to travel to a permanent residence or have a viable place to reside. Students eligible to petition to remain in housing for Winter 1 are as follows:
— Students who have a fall semester assignment
— Students that have a permanent address outside of the contiguous United States
— Students with housing insecurities or circumstances that do not provide them a safe place to stay
— In-season athletes that are sponsored by the Athletic Department
All other requests for Winter 1 will not be approved due to limited campus services available during this time.
To Request a Stay
The process to request housing will be communicated by Residential Life typically in late November.
Winter Break 2
Winter Break 2 begins on January 3rd and runs through the opening for the Spring semester.
- Dining is available for approved residents on a limited basis. Meal plan is not in effect, but food service will be open with limited hours at no additional charge.
- $300 charged to your student account that will be waived for anyone participating in Wheaton-related activity whose request is made by Wheaton Faculty or Staff. Other students may apply for a fee waiver with SFS. To apply for a fee waiver, you must be a recipient of substantial financial aid during the academic year. Please email email@example.com with your name, justification for the waiver, and reason for staying on campus during the break.
- Students must have a Spring room assignment
- Those approved for Winter 1 also qualify for Winter 2 if needed.
- If you are participating in a Wheaton-related activity, you are also required to complete the Winter Break Housing Request form and wait for approval pending the activity’s organizing leader.
- Those with a permanent address outside of the contiguous United States
- Students with housing insecurities or circumstances that do not provide them a safe place to stay
To Request a Stay:
Information about the request process will be emailed to the community at the end of the Fall semester. All students looking to be on campus at any point during winter break need to fill out the request form.
The days that are requested incur a fee based on when you are hoping to return. Fee waivers are available through Student Financial Services.
For Winter 2, please make sure that you are filling out this form at least 72 hours in advance of your planned arrival day as requests will be reviewed within 2-3 business days of their submission.
Spring Break is typically the second or third week of March.
- Halls do not close, but students planning to be on campus must register online. Forms will be made available in the Spring semester at least two weeks prior to the start of break.