As an international student, you will need to secure authorization to work in the U.S. This authorization is vital to maintain compliance with your immigration status.

If you plan to accept an off-campus paid internship or job while you are enrolled at Wheaton, you must apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). For an international student to be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), the work in which the student will engage must be an integral part of the degree program and required for graduation. CPT is available to F-1 students who have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis in a US university for at least 9 months.

To work in the U.S. upon graduation, you must apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT gives F-1 students an opportunity for work experience in the U.S. before and/or after completion of their degree. It is limited to a total of 12 months in a field directly related to their course of study. Students apply for OPT at the end of March during the Senior year.

For more information about CPT, OPT, or any other issue related to your status as an international student, please contact your international student advisor.

The following links provide helpful guidelines and tips for international students embarking on the U.S. job search:

H1 Visa Jobs Online database of American employers for international professionals

Going Global

Going Global has country-specific career and employment resources for more than 80 locations.