The Commonwealth of Massachusetts mandates accident and sickness insurance coverage for all full-time or 3/4-time students attending college in the state. Students must be enrolled in a health insurance plan which provides reasonably comprehensive coverage for health services.
Insurance plan options available to students:
- enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan, BCBS of MA, offered by Wheaton College. This plan fulfills the state requirements by providing access to care in the Norton, MA area, coverage for diagnostic testing, lab services, prescription drugs, mental health services, inpatient and outpatient hospital services, and emergency services. If you choose this option, nothing more is required; the college automatically enrolls all students in this plan.
- enrollment in your current health insurance plan that provides coverage which is equal to that provided by the plan offered by Wheaton. If you choose this option, please submit an on-line insurance waiver form.
If you choose to waive the Student Health Insurance plan offered by Wheaton, you are strongly encouraged to check with your insurance company to confirm that your plan provides in-network and out-of-network coverage for:
- Routine (not urgent or emergency) care in the Norton, MA area
- Norton Medical Center physician Dr. Rajani Mallick/Sturdy Memorial Associates
- Specialists in the Norton, MA area
- Diagnostic testing (Sturdy Memorial Hospital)
- Lab services (Sturdy Memorial Hospital)
- Prescription drugs
- Mental health services
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital services
- Emergency services/ambulance services
If you belong to an HMO, an out-of-state Medicaid, or a plan like Kaiser that does not provide coverage for the above services, you must participate in the Student Health Insurance plan offered by Wheaton or another comparable insurance plan.
You may only waive the health insurance plan offered by Wheaton if you are covered by a comparable health insurance plan with a US mailing address (based in the US).
Student Financial Services will provide more information regarding the Wheaton sponsored Student Health Insurance plan to students in an informational packet mailed during either June or December. The deadline for waiving or enrolling in the insurance plan offered by Wheaton is approximately August 3, 2016 (January 1, 2017 for second semester students).