Important BCBS Member Notice: Unauthorized Automated Phone Calls
Some of our Members may have received automated phone calls, claiming to be from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, offering free topical pain relief medicine.
These calls are not from Blue Cross, nor did we authorize them. If you receive one of these calls, do not give anyone any personal information. Our advice is to just hang up.
If you received a call, we encourage you to contact our Fraud Hotline at 1-800-992-4100, or email us at email@example.com.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts mandates accident and sickness insurance coverage for all full-time or 3/4-time students attending college in the state. Students must be enrolled in a health insurance plan which provides reasonably comprehensive coverage for health services.
Insurance plan options available to students:
- enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan, BCBS of MA, offered by Wheaton College. This plan fulfills the state requirements by providing access to care in the Norton, MA area, coverage for diagnostic testing, lab services, prescription drugs, mental health services, inpatient and outpatient hospital services, and emergency services. If you choose this option, nothing more is required; the college automatically enrolls students in this plan.
- continued enrollment in your current health insurance plan that provides coverage which is equal to that provided by the plan offered by Wheaton. If you choose this option, please submit an on-line insurance waiver form.
If you choose to waive the Student Health Insurance plan offered by Wheaton, you are strongly encouraged to check with your insurance company to confirm that your plan provides in-network and out-of-network coverage for:
- Routine (not urgent or emergency) care in the Norton, MA area
- Norton Medical Center physician Dr. Rajani Mallick/Sturdy Memorial Associates
- Specialists in the Norton, MA area
- Diagnostic testing (Sturdy Memorial Hospital)
- Lab services (Sturdy Memorial Hospital)
- Prescription drugs
- Mental health services
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital services
- Emergency services/ambulance services
If you belong to an HMO, an out-of-state Medicaid, or a plan like Kaiser that does not provide coverage for the above services in the Norton area, you must participate in the Student Health Insurance plan offered by Wheaton or another comparable insurance plan.
In order to waive enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan, an online waiver verifying enrollment in a comparable health insurance plan by a U.S. health insurance provider must be completed by the stated deadline.
All international students are required to enroll in the college sponsored plan. The purpose of this policy is to ensure timely and quality health care while attending Wheaton College.
Students who do not complete and submit the online waiver will be assessed the full year premium.
Student Financial Services will provide more information regarding the Wheaton sponsored Student Health Insurance plan to students in an informational packet mailed during either June or December. The deadline for waiving or enrolling in the insurance plan offered by Wheaton is approximately August 1, 2016 (January 1, 2017 for second semester students).