The Office of Residential Life offers limited storage to students who live a distance from campus. Qualifying students will be granted access on a first come, first served basis – we cannot guarantee the availability of storage.
- You must live 500+ miles away from campus.
- You must be returning to Wheaton the following semester.
- Students studying abroad may only keep items in storage if their home location is 500+ miles from campus. Due to space restrictions, we cannot permit all students studying abroad to utilize storage.
- Qualifying students may store two items in storage. See “Restrictions” below for details.
- Students must complete an online registration form, a ‘Storage Contract’ (a new contract each semester) and tag their items with labels provided by Residential Life.
- Storage is only available in Chapin Hall Basement. We do not offer storage in any other space on campus.
- Items left behind will be discarded or donated.
How to Register for Storage Space
Due to the large demand for storage over the summer, not all students who qualify are guaranteed storage space.
- Complete the registration form to sign up for a date and time to access storage. A registration form will be available prior to the halls closing at the end of Spring semester (Fall semester for students studying abroad in the Spring). Students are encouraged to submit their storage registration as soon as possible. The form will become unavailable once capacity is reached.
- Visit the Office of Residential Life to complete a Storage Contact and receive Res Life issued labels for your belongings.
- Arrive at Chapin Basement with your belongings during the date and time you’ve selected.
How to Access Storage
Qualifying students are able to access storage at the beginning and end of each semester. Access to drop belongings off or pick them up will be limited to scheduled times. Any upcoming storage access times will be posted on the top of this page.
We cannot guarantee immediate, on demand access to your belongings. Students should understand that our staff availability is limited to the storage access times provided. We offer storage space as a courtesy and at no charge to students. Items left behind will be discarded or donated.
Due to high demand and limited space, we restrict the size and quantity of items that students are permitted to store in Chapin Basement. Qualifying students may only store two items. This can be a combination of boxes or small bulky items tagged with labels provided by Residential Life.
- Maximum Box Size – The Length + Width + Height of the box cannot exceed 84 inches (for example 36″ x 24″ by 24″) Rubbermaid storage totes are ideal.
Important: Boxes larger than the size indicated will not fit through the storage area door.
- Small Bulky Items – mini refrigerators/Microfridges, shelving units, lamps, fans, rolled up rugs or other items that would not otherwise be packed in a box and easily transported.
Belongings Left at Your Own Risk
Students who make use of this space do so with the understanding that Wheaton College cannot, under any circumstance, assume responsibility for loss of or damage to personal items. Please be aware that the storage room is in a basement and has had water infiltration in the past. We do not recommend storing anything of significant value. We will not allow storage of items otherwise prohibited from the Residence Halls.
Storage options through Wheaton are limited and do not include any insurance for loss or damage. If you do not qualify for storage or need to store items outside our restriction parameters, we suggest contacting Student Moving & Storage Services. This company will be on campus in Balfour Hood Atrium several times during the final weeks of Spring semester.
May 6 11am-3pm
May 8 11am-3pm
May 10 10am-3pm
May 11 10am-3pm
May 17 & 18 by appointment only