For the safety of objects in our collection, please follow these guidelines:
- NO gum chewing and NO food.
- All drinks must be in sealed bottles/containers. When objects are displayed on the CSR tables, all liquids must be placed in the designated area.
- Please silence your cell phone.
- Only pencils, which are provided, may be used for handwritten note-taking in the CSR. Use of laptops, tablets, and smartphones for note-taking is permitted.
- Place all bags and any materials not needed during your visit in the designated area.
- NO photography is allowed without prior permission from the Curator.
- If you are a student required to view objects for an assignment, please plan ahead, as visits require at least two weeks’ notice.
For classes and students viewing and/or handling objects on the classroom table:
- Please do NOT touch any object until offered the opportunity to do so by your professor, the Curator, or a Collection Assistant.
- Clean gloves will be provided and should always be worn when handling an object.
- Always use two hands to lift and hold an object. Only hold one object at a time.
- Do not lift objects by appendages, covers, handles, or lids.
- Remove headphones, heavy bracelets, ID lanyards, long necklaces, and scarves when handling objects.
- If you are uncertain if you are allowed to hold an object or how best to do so, ask the Curator or a Collection Assistant.
- If you sneeze or cough, turn your head away from the table when you do so. If you cover your mouth with your gloved hand when sneezing or coughing, put on a clean glove.
- Take off the gloves when you blow your nose. (Tissues are available.)
- Do NOT rub your nose, face, or hair with your gloved hand. If you do, put on a clean glove.
- Before leaving, please discard your gloves in the trash can, push in your chair, and collect your belongings.