Wheaton College welcomes participation in social media, such as Facebook pages and groups, and we encourage you to be an active member of the community by sharing information, asking questions of the college and of each other, and offering advice to improve Wheaton.
This policy will apply to social media accounts created by College employees for official business purposes including groups, departments, programs, and entities that represent Wheaton College.
All officially recognized social media accounts will be listed publicly on the social media directory on Wheaton’s site.
Official Wheaton College Social Media Accounts – The college’s main accounts listed below are the only accounts that can speak on behalf of the entire college. The following are established and official accounts:
Poster/User: a person submitting content to any social media site that is officially recognized by Wheaton College
Social Media: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos). (Merriam-Webster)
Social Media Accounts: These are accounts or profiles created in social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat etc.
Social Media Terms and Conditions: The terms and conditions imposed by the social media website in which the User is participating.
Recommendations for Account Administrators and Employees
- All social media accounts recognized by the College must have two Wheaton employees as administrators at all times. Should an employee administrator leave the college for any reason or no longer wish to be an account administrator, it is the academic or administrative department’s responsibility to remove the former employee’s administrative permissions to the site and designate another employee to be an account administrator.
- If you identify yourself as an employee, faculty, or staff member in a personal account bio, please clearly state that the content shared are your personal views and opinions and do not represent the official views and opinions of the College.
- NCAA regulations prohibit coaches from friending/following prospective student-athletes. Also, coaches, current student-athletes, or representatives of the athletics department may not publicly communicate or post with prospective student-athletes on social media. All communication is limited to private messaging.13.02.11.4 Exception—After Receipt of Financial Deposit. On or after May 1 of a prospective student-athlete’s senior year in high school, there shall be no limit on the forms of electronically transmitted correspondence that may be sent by an institution to a prospective student-athlete, provided the institution has received a financial deposit in response to the institution’s offer of admission.
College employees and departments are not authorized to enter into an advertising agreement with social media sites without prior authorization and approval obtained by contacting the Integrated Marketing Department.
Actions that are unacceptable in other settings are also unacceptable on our social media channels. These include:
- Harassment in any form
- Failure to respect the rights of others, such as the right to privacy
- Forgery or other misrepresentation of one’s identity
- Distribution of copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner
- Posts containing personal attacks, profanity, nudity, hate speech or illegal material are prohibited.
Online forums should be used for discussion of general interests and issues relating to the college, not specific individuals and situations. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to remove any post or to revoke a user’s privilege to post to our page.
Please be aware that we cannot immediately review every comment posted on the page. Opinions expressed in non-Wheaton posts are not necessarily those of Wheaton and its employees, and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of these posts.
Comments and complaints should be addressed to the college at email@example.com.