Emily Davisson ’12

Emily Davisson ’12Major: Psychology

Sport: Volleyball

Extra points: Wheaton athletic mentor, Psychology Club advertising chair, IES Abroad student ambassador

Success on the court: Walking off the court knowing that I did everything in my own power to play my best and to encourage my teammates to play their best. The number of wins is a typical measure of success, but I don’t necessarily agree. If my team wins a game, but I know that I slacked off, I don’t feel as rewarded in the end. I am very grateful for my coach, Craig Letourneau, whose enthusiasm and constructive criticism have fostered my love of the game. I am also thankful for my professors understanding when I have had to occasionally leave class early for a match. I’ve also seen a few of them in the stands, which further illustrates the close relationships I have been able to make with them.

Success in the classroom: Just like in volleyball, academic success comes from using all of my available resources, such as professors’ office hours, tutoring sessions and study groups. I learned early on in my Wheaton career to reach out to my professors and that no question is a stupid question. Success in college is very different from success in high school, because in college you don’t have anyone breathing down your neck, making sure you get your assignments in. It takes an intrinsic drive.

Winning combination: An intrinsic will to want to succeed. Even if you are the best athlete or the smartest student, you have to want to use your talents. You have to have a competitive edge. Competition drives me in both my academics and volleyball. In volleyball, this is obvious. But, as I am starting to prepare graduate school applications, my competitive side comes out and encourages me to be the best student that I can be because I am competing for a spot at a school.