The following instructions are here to help you navigate the federal student loan process at Wheaton College for the first time. All first-time federal student loan borrowers are required to complete this process before loan funds can be disbursed and shown as a credit on their student account.
Accept/Decline Your Loans
Students do not need to accept their need-based Federal Direct Subsidized loans.
Students who are offered a non-need-based Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan need to accept (or decline) their loan(s) using the instructions below:
- Log into your InsideWheaton account
- Select WINDOW (choose from the left-hand navigation)
- Select Student & Financial Records
- Select Financial Records, then Financial Aid Status then (select current academic year) from the drop-down menu.
- To see your award, choose You have an AWARD which totals $(your award amount here)
- To accept your loan(s), select the Accept Award Offer tab.
First Time Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Borrowers
All first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers are required to complete entrance counseling and a Master Promissory note. In order to complete these requirements, you will need to have your FSA ID.
To create an FSA ID visit the Federal Student Aid website.
- Complete both Federal Direct Loan Requirements online at Studentaid.gov
Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
- Completing the Entrance Counseling online will fulfill the requirement for both Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans.
- Choose Wheaton College in Massachusetts session so your confirmation is forwarded to us electronically.
Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
- The promissory note is a legally binding agreement to repay a loan between the student borrower and the Department of Education. Completing the Promissory Note online will fulfill the requirement for both Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans. Complete your Federal Direct Loan promissory note here.
- A parent cannot complete the Direct Loan Promissory Note (or Entrance Counseling) on the student’s behalf. The loans are in the student’s name and therefore the requirements must be completed by the student.
Returning Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Borrowers
- Students who have previously received Federal Direct loans do not need to complete a new MPN or Entrance Counseling.
- Returning students that have been awarded an Unsubsidized loan will need to accept/decline the funding by following the above instructions.