Wheaton College Statement of responsibility for alcoholic beverages

In compliance with the requirements of federal, state and local laws, and in order to provide a safe and healthy environment in which staff and students may work and study, we have provided this summary of practices for the procurement and serving of alcohol at campus events.

For further information on the College’s policy against abuse of drugs and alcohol please refer to the Staff Handbook.


  • To promote the safe and responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages at Wheaton College events and among our community.
  • To provide an accurate accounting of alcoholic beverages purchased by the College.
  • To minimize any risk, liability or claim exposure that may occur as a result of serving alcoholic beverages at campus events.

Policy statements

Beverage service and procurement

All College sponsored events held on campus, at which alcoholic beverages are served (no charge or retail), require Dining Services be engaged for the purpose of providing and serving (when necessary) these beverages. The planner must also complete Conference and Event Services event procedure.

Dining services are the only approved purchaser of alcoholic beverages for the campus. The College liquor license is managed by them and inventory storage tracking is provided by them. All alcoholic beverages provided at Wheaton events, and remaining at the conclusion of an event, are the property of Wheaton College. As such, remaining consumables will be returned to the College inventory.

Purchase of alcohol by college personnel on the College Procard or through reimbursement is prohibited.

Alcoholic beverages consumed at campus events will be invoiced to the sponsoring department and must be paid from fiscal year operating funds.

Beverage consumption during business travel

Alcoholic beverages consumed while on college business travel must be in moderation, meet the conditions of College policy (refer to staff handbook), and be approved by the employee’s department head.

Federal Act and use of funds

The federal Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 requires employers who contract with or receive grants from agencies of the federal government to maintain a drug-free workplace. In addition, the federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989, as a condition of the institution receiving federal funds or any other form of financial assistance under any federal program, requires all institutions of higher education to adopt and implement a program to prevent the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol by students and employees. In addition, federal regulations prohibit the College from reimbursing any expenditure for alcoholic beverages with federal funds (grants).

Beverages as gifts

Alcoholic beverages purchased as gifts with College funds are discouraged and must be approved by the Department head. Receipts need to be signed indicating purpose and to whom the gift will be given.

Serving protocol

Events with alcoholic beverages where students are present, or where a large number of employees and/or guests will be attending, must utilize a TIPS trained bar tender, preferably arranged through Dining Services. If a bartender is not utilized the students may not consume alcoholic beverages. Serving of alcoholic beverages must follow all federal, state and local laws and ordinances.

Sanctions for Non-Compliance

Sanctions imposed will be in accordance with the College policy against abuse of drugs and alcohol. In addition, the College may suspend the employees Procard, deny reimbursement requests or take other administrative actions to curtail unapproved purchase, serving or consumption of alcoholic beverages.


  • Questions concerning sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages or approved campus, retail locations can be addressed by Dining Services.
  • Event planning assistance can be sought through Conference and Events Services.
  • Questions on the Policy against abuse of drugs and alcohol can be addressed by Human Resources.
  • Questions concerning the procurement policy, can be addressed by Business or Accounting Services.