DEAL was established at Wheaton College in Fall 2018. It is an umbrella entity that strives to create opportunities for innovative diversity work to flourish by fostering and coordinating leadership efforts across campus to ensure that Wheaton consistently provides a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible learning community.
DEAL is charged by President’s Council with overseeing diversity and inclusion campus work to ensure that Wheaton is making progress on the campus’ Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan.
DEAL has five main purposes as a campus entity that include:
- To support the entire campus in having greater ownership and engagement in diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
- To provide a committee structure for coordinated and synergistic leadership across campus.
- To work collaboratively with top-level administrators to ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion campus leaders have adequate resources to do their work effectively.
- To engage and educate the campus community about diversity, equity, and inclusion work through initiatives and programming.
- To increase communication and institutional responsiveness around persistent diversity, equity and inclusion challenges.
Overview of the DEAL Structure
DEAL has four interwoven components.
- Provide overall coordination, communication and oversight of DEAL
- Oversee implementation of the official campus Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
- Ensure overall strategic planning and capacity building on campus regarding diversity, equity and inclusion
- Report to President’s Council with diversity, equity and inclusion progress updates and recommendations
- Chair one of the three DEAL Committees
DEAL Education & Programming (E&P) Committee
- Ensures there is a variety of diversity, equity and inclusion campus-wide programming
- Organizes Wheaton’s MLK Legacy Arts Showcase
DEAL Senate Committee
- Builds diversity, equity and inclusion capacity among faculty, staff, and students and provides members with opportunities for reflection and professional development
- Identifies the diversity, equity, and access needs of our community and trouble shoots how to effectively meet those needs with campus resources
DEAL Strategic Planning and Accountability (SPA) Committee
- Reviews institutional data, and makes recommendations around strategic opportunities to advance diversity, equity and inclusion on campus
- Contemplates potential equity gaps and develops appropriate strategies to address these gaps
Visit the college’s Historical Diversity Efforts page to learn more about Wheaton’s previous diversity and inclusion efforts by the Council on Inclusion and Diversity (CID).
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.