DEAL was established at Wheaton College in Fall 2018. It is an umbrella entity that strives to create opportunities for innovative diversity work to flourish by fostering and coordinating leadership efforts across campus to ensure that Wheaton consistently provides a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible learning community.
DEAL is charged by President’s Council with working to ensure that Wheaton is making progress on the campus’ Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan.
DEAL has five main purposes as a campus entity that include:
- To support the entire campus in having greater ownership and engagement in diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
- To provide a committee structure for coordinated and synergistic leadership across campus.
- To work collaboratively with top-level administrators to ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion campus leaders have adequate resources to do their work effectively.
- To engage and educate the campus community about diversity, equity, and inclusion work through initiatives and programming.
- To increase communication and institutional responsiveness around persistent diversity, equity and inclusion challenges.
Overview of the DEAL Structure
DEAL has four interwoven components:
- Provide overall coordination, communication and oversight of DEAL
- Oversee implementation of the official campus Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
- Ensure overall strategic planning and capacity building on campus regarding diversity, equity and inclusion
- Report to President’s Council with diversity, equity and inclusion progress updates and recommendations
- Chair one of the three DEAL Committees
DEAL Education & Programming (E&P) Committee
- Ensures there is a variety of diversity, equity and inclusion campus-wide programming
- Organizes Wheaton’s MLK Legacy Arts Showcase
- Membership is limited to interested students, staff and faculty who have programming responsibilities as part of their campus roles
DEAL Senate Committee
- Builds diversity, equity and inclusion capacity among faculty, staff, and students and provides members with opportunities for reflection and professional development
- Identifies the diversity, equity, and access needs of our community and trouble shoots how to effectively meet those needs with campus resources
- Membership is open to all students, staff and faculty interested in engaging with campus DEI work
DEAL Strategic Planning and Accountability (SPA) Committee
- Reviews institutional data, and makes recommendations around strategic opportunities to advance diversity, equity and inclusion on campus
- Contemplates potential equity gaps and develops appropriate strategies to address these gaps
- Membership is limited to appointed senior managers and faculty who represent their division on campus
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Recent Blog PostsAll DEAL Posts
Through the Student Lens – The Marshall Center: “a home away from home”
Meet one student who fondly refers to the Marshall Center as a “home away from home” and take a look Through the Student Lens.
Welcoming the world to Wheaton
The Marshall Center for Intercultural Learning offers programs that allow all students in the Wheaton community to increase their cultural capacity, knowledge and awareness of…
DEAL update to the campus community
As we start a new semester, we wanted to highlight some of the diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) work that has occurred.