Seeing your students off to college can be quite the adjustment – and now they’re looking to study abroad? We know there can be a lot of questions and uncertainty, and we are here to answer all of your questions – and help set your student up on a study abroad program that will truly enhance their Wheaton experience and better prepare them for whatever comes next beyond their time at Wheaton!

Quick Links
Supporting Your Students

Matters of personal identity can impact all students on a study abroad program. If you are wondering about how your student’s identity might impact their study abroad process, here are some resources that students in the past have found to be helpful:

Glossary of Terms
  • Wheaton-approved Program: Wheaton has a carefully curated database of study abroad programs, for a wide variety of academic interests, language skills, and budgets. All programs in the database are considered “Wheaton approved” and represent a partnership of some sort between Wheaton College and the program.
  • Non-Wheaton Program: Recognizing that we may not have the program for every student, we allow students to petition to participate in a program not listed in our database. These petitions must be approved by the Global Advisory Committee.
  • Wheaton application: Students must submit an online application through the Center for Global Education, in order to secure Wheaton’s approval to study abroad. Our deadlines are always on March 1st and October 1st.
  • Program application: In addition to completing the Wheaton application, students must apply to their study abroad program directly for admission. These deadlines vary but nearly all fall on or after the Global Ed application deadline.
  • Affiliate Provider: A US-based (typically) educational company, that has established study abroad programs around the world. They may be done in partnership with an overseas university or may be stand-alone, with their own faculty and staff onsite.
  • Direct Enroll: An agreement with an overseas university where students can apply to study directly at the university, as a visiting student, for a semester or a year.
  • Exchange Partnership: An overseas university that sends students to Wheaton for a semester or year, and Wheaton students can study there for a semester or year in exchange.
  • Visa: All governments have restrictions on how long a non-citizen can stay in their country. A student visa is temporary authorization to be in a country to study for a specific period of time.

Please feel free to contact the Center for Global Education at 508-286-4950 or [email protected].