Letters

Thanks for great stories

I look forward to receiving the Quarterly; thanks to President Crutcher for adding my name to the mailing list. The magazine is always filled with such inspiring stories of your students and alums who are making a difference at the college and in their community. The stories are always interesting and uplifting.

Geraldine Tucker
Vice president
Human resources
Austin Community College

More focus on life of the mind, please

I’m a Ph.D. candidate in United States intellectual history at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I graduated from Wheaton in 2003 with a bachelor’s degree in history. I always read the Quarterly, or, at the very least, skim through it when it arrives. I love seeing what fellow Wheaties are up to.

Recently, I was talking with my wife, Laura (also a Class of 2003 Wheaton graduate, who majored in German), about how it seems as though recent issues have been devoted to either how important the sciences are at Wheaton or how relevant the humanities are for getting jobs for graduates. I find this dismaying—not because I believe that the sciences are unimportant or that students should not be deeply concerned about finding jobs once they graduate. I find this dismaying because my fondest memories of my time at Wheaton are of sitting around on the Chase couches with friends, aimlessly discussing history, literature and philosophy. Other than the love of learning, there was no utility in this.

I fear that the importance of the love of learning for its own sake has been overlooked in the recent topics and approach of articles in the Quarterly. My Wheaton degree has served me well, but its utility is not what I cherish most, and I would love to read more about Wheaton news and events that speak to the life of the mind.

Gregory Jones-Katz ’03