Alumnae/i Association board candidates

After extensive research, the nominating committee has selected the following candidates for the Alumnae/i Association Board of Directors. Elections will be held on October 20. In accordance with the bylaws of the Alumnae/i Association, additional nominations may be made for positions other than alumna/alumnus trustee. Nominations must be submitted in writing at least two weeks before Homecoming. Nominations should include relevant information about the candidate, written consent from the nominee, along with at least 30 signatures from alumnae/i representing no fewer than three classes.

Patricia “Patty” Rose Landry ’01

• National class officer chair
  • Manager of annual giving at the Children’s Aid Society of New York
  • Involvement: Class vice president, 2007–2016; volunteer for the Filene Center, 2009–2012, and Wheaton Regional Club, 2010–2011

Connection: “From the moment I stepped on campus during visiting day, I knew Wheaton was a special place. During my four years I met many wonderful friends, staff and professors both inside and outside of the classroom. My time outside of the classroom, especially, is where my transferable life and professional skills developed. My time as a member of the field hockey team, a preceptor, student mentor, programming council vice chair and eventually a class officer have all taught me more than I could have ever imagined. Students, staff and faculty gave so much to me, I continue to stay connected to help give back, and it doesn’t hurt that I also get to be around the most amazing people. I am grateful.”

Goal: “I have had the opportunity to be involved with my wonderful Class of 2001 since graduation, first as class secretary and for the past six years as class vice president. As I continue to serve as class vice president, I look forward to the opportunity to get to work with and learn from the many other class officers. I hope to gain more insight into the board in general and have the opportunity to serve as a voice for many of my fellow alums. I want to help build resources and access for class officers outside of the ALC/Reunion cycle and improve communication.”

Surprise: “I am a total science geek! I love astronomy, going to lectures, coloring in coloring books, I am 100 percent afraid of the dark, and I know how to moonwalk.”

Sarah Georges Lenes ’05

• National regional chair
  • Alumni relations officer, University of Vermont
  • Involvement: Co-chair, Wheaton Fund, 2011–2015; class officer, 2010–2015; member of the Reunion gift committee (2010 co-chair)

Connection: “I continue to volunteer for Wheaton because it was an alum who connected me to Wheaton in the first place. From the minute my mother and I drove down Howard Street, I knew Wheaton was for me. Today, I volunteer so that I can be that alum to help other future Lyons add Wheaton to their list of schools to tour.”

Goal: “I am thrilled to be serving my alma mater in a different volunteer capacity than I previously have. I hope to increase Wheaton’s regional activity across the country to strengthen our alumnae/i body, which in return will enrich the lives of our current student body and the college for many years to come.”

Surprise: “I first learned about Wheaton at the Eileen Fisher store in the Copley mall in Boston. My mom and I were shopping during a break from college visits. Wheaton wasn’t on the list. An employee, who was a senior at Wheaton at the time, asked what I was doing, and I told her I was on a college search trip. She told us about Wheaton and the rest is history.”

Jane Martin ’74, P’11

• Association president
  • Owner of The Photo Editor
  • Involvement: Filene Center volunteer, 2009–2012; Alumnae/i Board member, 1998–2010, director-at-large, national Reunion chair, 2008–2010

Connection: “Wheaton has been my home for 40 years, the source of my most long-standing friendships, and a place I return to for inspiration, energy and creativity. It’s where I return to renew myself.”

Goal: “This is my third tour of duty on the board of directors. Each time is different. Working with younger alums gives me more information about the college, and how it is both different and fundamentally the same as it was during my years there. I learn a lot from younger alums and I get a sense of the legacy and the history from older alums, who have given us so much. My goals are to engage more alumnae/i, particularly those from the 1990s and the first decade of the 2000s. We need more alums to participate, contribute and take ownership of the Alumnae/i Association. We need their time and their talents, and I hope to tap into this vast resource.”

Surprise: “I’m a really good country and western dancer. I have the Texas boots to prove it. Two-step anyone?”

Matthew “Matt” Strekel ’03

• Alumnae/i trustee
  • Xavier High School (Conn.), director of advancement
  • Involvement: Class officer, 2010–2013; member of the annual giving committee, 2011–2012; APAC volunteer since 2003

Connection: “As a senior in high school, Wheaton was the last school I visited and the only school I applied to (early decision). It was home for me, and remains for me an important part of who I am. I met some of my best friends during my four years at Wheaton. I am also forever indebted to [former] dean Sue Alexander and [theater professor] David Fox, who made sure I took full advantage of everything that was offered during my four years.”

Goal: Serving as a trustee at Wheaton is on my bucket list. Nerdy? Yes. But very exciting for me. Wheaton is at an absolutely critical juncture, and to serve on the board now means to be a part of decisions that will affect the life of the college for many years to come. As a 30-something male alum, I believe Wheaton can do a great deal to harness the power of our constituency group; we have a lot to offer as an institution that already has a strong foundation as a former women’s college. My top priority is to serve as a reliable voice for the alumnae/i to the board, ensuring that Wheaton’s future is as stable and strong as possible.”

Surprise: “I play bass guitar in a rock cover band. Mostly in the basement at a friend’s house two or three times a week. It’s a lot of fun and a great way to blow off some steam.”