A win-win situation

Faculty-Student BasketballOK. I admit it. When I arrived at the faculty/staff-versus-students basketball game fundraiser in the fall, I expected to see, well, a slaughter. Don’t get me wrong; I know how amazing our faculty and staff members are. I see them in action all the time, working feats of magic in classrooms, labs, concert halls, offices and elsewhere. But on the basketball court? Against young, um, younger players?

Holy Michael Jordan, was I wrong!

The faculty/staff team led in scoring for most of the game, assisted by three-pointers from the likes of Professor of Mathematics Tommy Ratliff, aggressive play by Assistant Professor of History Dana Polanichka (who had her own cheering section chanting her initials), and ball-stealing antics as well as other impressive moves by teammates. And the faculty won, 70 to 62!

The evening was an unexpected treat for those of us who like to think we still “got game”—in the arena of our choosing. It also was an opportunity to get a glimpse of some of the things that make Wheaton a great community, all in one room: faculty and staff members giving of themselves way beyond what is required; thoughtful students working to raise money to go to New Orleans during winter break to again contribute to rebuilding efforts; dedicated learners balancing work and play (some students were watching the basketball game and studying from textbooks); and old and new traditions being carried out—the Gentlemen Callers performing a cappella classics during the half-time show; the Trybe troupe rockin’ the room with funky fresh dance routines to Michael Jackson’s “Dangerous.”

In this issue of the Quarterly, you can read about how the game fit into the fundraising efforts of our students who went to New Orleans and why this community service trip is so special to them.

About Sandy Coleman

Sandy Coleman is the editor of the Wheaton Quarterly and Senior Associate Director in the Communications Office.