We offer group and individual sessions with trained peer tutors.
The College Learning Center offers drop-in peer tutoring in a variety of subjects.
- Writing: Students can access both peer and professional tutoring. Students with writing assignments in any class, in any subject, are welcome. The peer tutors are current students with interests across the curriculum. Tutoring in writing is usually one-on-one. Writing tutoring takes place in the Madeline Clark Wallace Library. Please refer to our Writing Tutoring Schedule for current walk-in hours with a peer tutor. For more information about tutoring in writing, please visit the Writing At Wheaton page
- Subject Tutoring: We offer peer support for a variety of introductory courses. All subject tutoring takes place in Kollett Hall (located adjacent to the lobby outside of Hindle Auditorium in the (old) Science Center), on a walk-in basis. No appointment is necessary.(Not just for tutoring, Kollett Hall is also available as a study space. Hours are until midnight Sunday through Thursday.)
- Peer tutors are students who have been recommended by their professors for both their command of the subject material and their ability to work with other students. As they themselves have only taken the course in question once, their job is not to teach students the material. Instead, their goals are to help students figure out how to find successful approaches to specific questions and also to model how to be a successful student of their subject.
- Peer tutoring is currently available at the introductory level in the following subjects:
- Art History
- Chemistry (Intro)
- Computer Science
- Foreign Languages (Intro and Intermediate in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish)
- Math (Calculus I and II, Statistics, Math in Art. For Statistics for Social Sciences, see Psychology)
- Philosophy (Introductory, Logic)
- Physics (Intro)
- Psychology (Quantitative Research Methods; Brain, Mind, and Behavior; Drugs and Behavior; Statistics for Social Sciences)
Please refer to our Spring Peer Tutoring Schedule for to find when tutoring in each subject is available.