- What are my on-campus and off-campus counseling options? What are the hours and emergency availability? Is there a charge?
- On-campus, the Counseling Center, located on Howard Street, provides free, confidential counseling services to all students. The Counseling Center is open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. Sessions are by appointment and last 50 minutes, although, walk-in appointments are available for any student in an emergency situation. After- hours and on weekends, the counselor-on-call may be reached via Public Safety at 508-286-8213.
- Norton Medical Center staff (confidential) and members of the Office of Health & Wellness, as well as Area Coordinators and the Dean of Students (both confidential within the college administration), are also available during regular business hours to provide support and guidance.
- New Hope Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault 24 Hour Hotline (in-state calls: contact 1-800-323-4673; out-of-state calls: contact SafeLink at 877-785-2020 and ask to be transferred to New Hope's Hotline) is a free, confidential, off-campus option. Counselor advocates provide confidential support, information, and advocacy and are available to accompany victims of sexual assault to the hospital and/or police station.
- Several therapists are located nearby, off-campus. Contact information for these counselors may be found online in the Local Health Care Resources Directory at www.wheatoncollege.edu/health/files/2010/07/LocalResourcesDirectory2.pdf.
- Is a SMART (Sexual Misconduct and Assault Resource Team) member required to file an anonymous tracking form after meeting with a sexual assault victim? Is a victim made aware of this report and the bounds of confidentiality?
Yes. SMART members and other college staff are requested to forward an Anonymous SMART Tracking Form which contains non-identifying information on the known sexual assault to the SMART Coordinator and to Public Safety for purposes of record keeping. This form includes information required by federal law (The Cleary Act) for inclusion in the annual crime statistics compiled by Public Safety. The sexual assault victim is informed of the Anonymous SMART Tracking Report when she confides in a Wheaton staff member.
- Will information about this report appear in the police log of the campus newspaper?
The anonymous tracking reports completed by SMART members are never published in the Wheaton Wire.
- Will information about the assault ever be released to the campus community?
Information about the sexual assault may be released to the campus community when Public Safety deems the assault a serious threat to the safety and well-being of the campus community at-large. If the assault is violent and/or one of a string of assaults perpetrated by a stranger or serial rapist, Public Safety may release a statement warning the campus community of the nature of the assault and providing safety information but withholding the name of the victim.