Wheaton College Norton, Massachusetts
Wheaton College
College History

Academics

1940s

  • Knapton hall, 1912

    1911-  Knapton Hall/ Science Hall

    This building was built as a science and assembly hall in 1911. It was the first classroom building to be constructed at Wheaton since the additions made to Mary Lyon Hall in 1878. A wing added in 1941 to provide more modern laboratory space opened in 1942. This building remained the Science Hall until 1968, when the new Science Center was constructed. In 1971, the building was redesigned as a center for the social sciences, and renamed Knapton Hall in honor of Dr. Ernest John Knapton, Professor of History from 1931 to 1969. More »
  • Grace Shepard, 1941

    1913 Grace F. Shepard

    Grace F. Shepard was a member of the English Department from 1913 to 1940 and author of Reference History of Wheaton College (1931). More »
  • Agnes Riddell, date unknown

    1922 Agnes Riddell

    Agnes Riddell was a Professor of Romance Languages from 1922-1940. Miss Riddell was Acting Dean from 1923 to 1925, and Professor Emerita from 1940 until her death in 1950. More »
  • Dr. John E. Park

    1926-1944 John Edgar Park

    The Reverend John Edgar Park (1879-1956) became president in 1926. Wheaton's growth and vitality during Park's presidency is particularly noteworthy: student enrollment increased steadily and the building program begun by President Cole continued. J. Edgar Park retired in 1944 at the age of 65 and was named President Emeritus. More »
  • 1926-1940 Art Studio

    The small wood-frame, barn-like structure was built by college carpenters in 1926 between the Doll’s House and Gymnasium. This fire hazard of a building had no heat or running water, making it inconvenient and unusable for several months of the year. The Studio was demolished in 1940 to make room for the Student Alumnae Building. More »
  • Balfour-Hood Center, 1987, photographer: Steve Rosenthal

    1940-  Balfour-Hood Center/ Student Alumnae Building

    Constructed with funds raised by alumnae and students beginning in 1928, the Student Alumnae Building (SAB) constructed in 1940, was the first building in the Modern, or International, style at Wheaton. The architects were Caleb Hornbostel and Richard M. Bennett, winners of the 1938 Fine Arts Center Competition. A Sesquicentennial project to update and expand this building resulted in the current design. The 1986 Balfour-Hood project, which fully absorbed SAB while leaving its form essentially intact, presents an unusual example of International Style preservation. More »
  • 1940 Dr. Sidney B. Fay speaks at Commencement

    Dr. Sidney B. Fay, Professor of History at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Title Page, 1941

    1941 Walker Evans visits Wheaton; lectures classes

    Walker Evans, a noted photographer and recipient of several Guggenheim Fellowships, makes four visits to Wheaton during 1940-1941 to lecture and photograph the campus. More »
  • 42 Howard Street, July 1998, photographer: Travis Riley

    1941-  Counseling Center/ 42 Howard St./ Naylor House

    42 Howard Street was named for Annie M. Naylor, from whom it was purchased in 1941. 42 Howard Street is now the Counseling Center. More »
  • 1941-2001 Naylor House/ 40 Howard St.

    A student house on Howard St. was named for Mrs. Naylor, from whom the property was purchased by the College in 1941. The construction of Beard Hall required the removal of the Infirmary built in 1954 and the 19th century Naylor House (40 Howard Street) next door. More »
  • Walter Oscar McIntire

    1941-1914 Walter Oscar McIntire

    "Dr. Mac," Walter Oscar McIntire was the Professor of Philosophy and Education from 1914 to 1941 and Professor Emeritus from 1941 to 1956. A beloved teacher, students knew him as gentle, dedicated, serious, and approachable. He performed marriage ceremonies for many alumnae, usually in Cole Chapel. In 1941, he spoke at Commencement and received a […] More »
  • Holcombe Austin, Philosophy Seminar 1950

    1941-1972 Holcombe Austin

    Holcombe Austin was a Professor of Philosophy from 1941 to 1972 (emeritus, 1972-2003). More »
  • Virginia Loeb Weil, undated

    1942 Virginia Loeb Weil

    A 1942 graduate of Wheaton, she is the wife of Robert S. Weil, Wheaton Trustee from 1968 to 1992, and Emeritus since 1992. A lounge on the main level of the Library Stair Tower in the Madeleine Clark Wallace Library is named in her honor. More »
  • 1942 Dr. John Edgar Park speaks at Commencement

    Dr. John Edgar Park, Wheaton College President, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • SWAB Logbook, First Meeting, 1943

    1943 War relief efforts organized by students

    The Student War Activities Board, or SWAB, organizes war relief efforts. More »
  • Wheaton Roll Call for Victory, page 2, 1943

    1943 Roll call for victory

    In November the Alumnae Office sent out letters asking alumni what they were doing to aid the war effort. More »
  • 1943 Florence L. Barrows

    Dr. Barrows took responsibility for the college’s herbarium, and in 1946 was made director of the Department of Gardens, Trees and Shrubs. More »
  • 1943 Vera Micheles Dean speaks at Commencement

    Vera Micheles Dean, Research Director of the Foreign Policy Association, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Alexander H. Meneely

    1944-1961 Alexander H. Meneely

    Dartmouth College Professor of History Alexander Howard Meneely (1899-1961) began his 17-year tenure when Dr. Park retired in 1944, faced with leading the College in a period of post-war confusion and rising costs. Enrollment growth allowed Wheaton to expand and improve its curriculum, faculty, and building program. The construction of "new campus" began in 1957. More »
  • 1944 Grace B. Park is an Honorary Degree Recipient

    Grace B. Park, wife of Wheaton President J. Edgar Park, is an Honorary Degree Recipient. More »
  • 1944 Reverend Dr. Edgar Park speaks at Commencement

    Reverend Dr. John Edgar Park, retiring President of Wheaton College, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Muriel Reynolds

    1945 Wheaton graduate becomes major officer

    Muriel Reylonds, Class of 1924, is named one of the first two women officers of a major worldwide corporation. More »
  • Reverend James H. Robinson

    1945 Reverend James H. Robinson ignites discussion of the segregation policy

    April 20, 1945, Rev. James H. Robinson, Minster of the Church of the Master in Harlem, and a prominent African-American rights activist, came to speak at Wheaton. More »
  • 1945 Admission is opened to African-Americans

    President Meneely brought the issue of the segregation policy to the Board of Trustees. On June 3, 1945, the Board officially agreed to open admission to "colored students," should any qualified individuals apply. More »
  • Wheaton News, March 23, 1946

    1945 Wheaton students raise money for scholarships

    In October 1945, a group of Wheaton students moved the college farther by raising $601 for scholarships for African-American students. More »
  • 1945 Dr. Alexander Howard Meneely speaks at Commencement

    Dr. Alexander Howard Meneely, Wheaton College President, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Sarah Young

    1946-1909 Sarah Belle Young

    Sarah Belle Young was Professor of English, Registrar, and Secretary to the Faculty from 1909 to 1946 (Registrar Emerita, 1946-1973). In 1946, she was awarded as an Honorary Degree Recipient. Miss Young experienced many changes at Wheaton, having arrived in the days of the Seminary, with all of its strict rules. She served as Registrar […] More »
  • Alice Taylor and Nadine Lane

    1946 Two African-American students are admitted

    In the fall of 1946, two students, Alice Taylor and Nadine Lane, became the first African-American students to be officially admitted to Wheaton. More »
  • 1946 Reverend Dr. John Edgar Park speaks at Commencement

    Reverend Dr. John Edgar Park, President Emeritus of Wheaton College, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 22 Howard Street, July 1998, photographer: Travis Riley

    1947-  22 Howard St./ Sweet House

    Purchased in 1947 from the Sweet family, the following year the ells were demolished, and the porch and interior rebuilt, according to a design by College Architect Howard L. Rich. For many years used as a residence for administrators or faculty, Sweet is now a student house. More »
  • 1947 Dr. Wilbur K. Jordan speaks at Commencement

    Dr. Wilbur K. Jordan, President of Radcliffe College, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1948 Reverend John Edgar Park speaks at Commencement

    Reverend John Edgar Park, President Emeritus of Wheaton College, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1948 Dr. Alexander Howard Meneely speaks at Commencement

    Dr. Alexander Howard Meneely, President of Wheaton College, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Shepard Court, 1958

    1949-  Shepard Court/ 21-35 Howard St.

    Shepard Court's several units are used for faculty housing. These faculty residences were named in honor of Grace F. Shepard, a member of the English Department from 1913 to 1940 and author of Reference History of Wheaton College (1931). More »
  • Elizabeth Stoffregen May

    1949 Larger scholarships are awarded to African-American students

    Dean Elizabeth Stoffregen May convinces President Meneeley to lump the $75 scholarships into larger individual scholarships that could cover part of tuition. More »
  • 1949 The Honorary William O. Douglas speaks at Commencement

    The Honorary William O. Douglas speaks at Commencement. More »