Wheaton College Norton, Massachusetts
Wheaton College
Disability Services


New Students

Sally Riconsente, Associate Dean of Access and Academic Support, is available to meet with students and family members prior to admission on an appointment basis. Students and their families often schedule appointments when they are on campus to interview with the Office of Admission or during Visiting Days. We invite you to contact Dean Riconscente to request academic accommodations.

Registering with the Office of Disability Services

Students wishing to be considered for accommodations and support services offered through the Office of Disability Services (ODS), must complete the following steps:

  1. Submit Intake Form. Once enrolled at Wheaton, students must begin their registration with ODS by completing an online registration form
  2. Submit documentation of disability. Students must submit documentation of their disability in accordance with Whetaon’s Documentation Guidelines.
  3. Schedule an intake interview. Please call the Filene Center for Academic Advising & Career Services at (508) 286-8215 to schedule an appointment. At the intake interview, students will provide information about how their disability impacts them in an educational setting. This will also be an opportunity for students to become acquainted with other services and supports that are offered through the College. Policies and procedures will be reviewed along with student, staff and ODS responsibilities.

Here are some frequently asked questions:

Does Wheaton have a separate disabilities program?

No. Students are mainstreamed and disability support services are provided on a request basis for students with a documented disability.

How many staff i.e. learning specialists, coaches, and directors are available?

Wheaton does not provide intensive supports such as coaching thus there is not this level of staffing.

Are there evening hours?

No. The office is open Monday through Friday between  8:30 - 4:30 throughout the year.

Is there a special orientation for students with disabilities?

Yes. The College offers a two day pre-orientation program for students with disabilities called Abilities 1st! Pre-Orientation. Students can elect to move on campus two days prior to the freshman class and participate in a small group orientation program.

What kind of Assistive Technology is available for students?

Students can arrange to obtain textbooks and other materials in alternative formats but must provide a syllabus and detailed list of reading materials four to six weeks in advance of the start of each semester.

Is priority registration available? Who helps students with registration?

This is determined on a case by case basis which is coordinated through the Office of Disability Services and the Office of the Registrar.

Is there proctoring for exams where students can have exams read to them?

No; Wheaton has an Honor Code thus a proctoring system for exams is not available.

Can students take a reduced course load if necessary?

Any Wheaton student may meet with a Class Dean to petition from a full course load of 4 courses to three courses.

Is there one-to-one tutoring available for students with disabilities?

No. Academic content tutoring is available through a peer group format conducted by students who have been screened by the specific academic department and recommended. However for writing, there are tutors and faculty associates who provide one-to-one services for all students. Please visit the Filene Center for Academic Advising for more information.

Is there a foreign language and/or math waiver?

Waivers are not permitted however students can petition for a foreign language substitution.

There is not a waiver for the math requirement, however there are courses which integrate math concepts within a discipline. This is a viable option for students who do not require a standard math course for their major.

For students who are not math and/or foreign language majors, Wheaton allows students to transfer credits earned as long as it meets the departments' criteria.

How do I make a request for housing accommodations?

You must complete a housing accommodation application on line through disability services. Decisions for housing accommodations are made by Residential Life, Disability Services, Counseling and Health Services.

Are there career and internship services?

Yes. The Filene Center for Academic Advising and Career Services provides comprehensive one to one services for students through out their educational career. There are numerous opportunities to apply for fellowships to fund unpaid summer internships. Students are encouraged to seek out these resume building opportunities.

More information on documentation criteria, temporary accommodations, the Americans with Disabilities Act and Grievance policy  are available via the Disabilities home page.

Comments are closed.