Wheaton College Norton, Massachusetts
Wheaton College
College History

Academics

1920s

  • Samuel V. Cole

    1897-1925 Samuel V. Cole

    Reverend Dr. Samuel Valentine Cole, first president of Wheaton College, was one of the most influential figures in the college's history. He served as a trustee from 1893 to 1925, Secretary of the Board from 1895 to 1908, President of the Board from 1908 to 1925, and President of the College from 1897 until his death in 1925. More »
  • Laundry & Power House, 1914

    1904-  Doll's House/ Old Power House/ Laundry/ Tower Hall

    This building served as the Power house and laundry until 1925, when a third floor was added and it was remodeled into a residence. Called "Tower Hall" at that time, it was commonly referred to as the "Doll's House" by 1931. More »
  • Ida Josephine Everett

    1912-1905 Ida Josephine Everett

    Miss Everett taught English and Psychology from 1906 to 1913 and English Literature from 1912 to 1928, and was the first Dean of the college from 1912 to 1921. A native of Walpole, she graduated from Mount Holyoke College, received her A.M. from Bowdoin, studied at Oxford, and completed all but her dissertation for the […] More »
  • 2-6-0 Campaign, 1921

    1920 First endowment campaign begins

    Wheaton announces its first endowment campaign. The “2-6-0 Campaign” has a goal of one million dollars. More »
  • 1920 Reverend Raymond Calkins speaks at Commencement

    Reverend Raymond Calkins speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1921 Wheaton News is published

    On November 1, the first edition of the Wheaton News is published. More »
  • Stanton Hall, 1923

    1921-  Stanton Hall

    This residence hall was built in 1921. The current basement was originally a 75 person capacity dining room and a kitchenette, and was used as such until 1926 when Everett Dining Hall opened. For some time in the 1940's, the basement held three classrooms. Stanton Hall was named in honor of A. Ellen Stanton. Teacher of French from 1871 to 1880and Principal of the Seminary from 1880 to 1897. More »
  • 1921 Dr. Edward Page Mitchell speaks at Commencement

    Dr. Edward Page Mitchell, Editor of the New York Herald Tribune, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Barrows House, July 1998

    1922-  6 Library Square / Boynton House/ Barrow's House

    The house at 6 Library Square was purchased in 1922 for use as a dormitory. Also known as the Boynton House, it was used as a residence for male staff for some time, and then for about 30 students until 1927, when the students were transferred to the newly opened French house, La Maison Blanche (White House). In 1927, Barrows House was converted into faculty housing. This house was named for Edwin Barrows, trustee from 1865 to 1908, and treasurer from 1891 to 1908. Edwin's father Albert Barrows had been a Trustee from 1845 to 1853. Mr. Barrows built and lived in the house that was later named in his memory. More »
  • 1922 Emily Stearns Hartwell is an Honorary Degree Recipient

    Emily Stearns Hartwell, Missionary, is an Honorary Degree Recipient. More »
  • Agnes Riddell, date unknown

    1922 Agnes Riddell

    Agnes Riddell was a Professor of Romance Languages from 1922-1940. Miss Riddell was Acting Dean from 1923 to 1925, and Professor Emerita from 1940 until her death in 1950. More »
  • Merill_marian_44-220x326

    1922 Marian Merrill

    Marian Merrill was a 1922 Wheaton graduate who returned to become the Head of the Library Circulation Department in 1927. More »
  • 1922 Reverend Samuel McChord Crothers speaks at Commencement

    Reverend Samuel McChord Crothers speaks at Commencement. Learn more about Crothers from Wikipedia More »
  • Madeleine Clark Wallace Library, 1927

    1923 Cram's campus plan is completed

    With the construction of the Library at the southern end of the Dimple, Ralph Adams Cram’s plan for a “Court of Honor” is completed. More »
  • Madeleine Clark Wallace Library, 1924

    1923-  Madeleine Clark Wallace Library

    Wheaton's Library began in a room in Old Metcalf Hall, was moved to the Gymnasium in 1869, and to a specially designed room in Seminary (Mary Lyon) Hall in 1879. The collection was moved to the Chapel Basement in 1918-19. Ralph Adams Cram, the famous architect of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, designed this new T-shaped building in 1923. More »
  • candle lighting ceremony, date unkown

    1923 Candle Light Ceremony is established

    The first Candle Light Ceremony was held in 1923, inviting new students to join the Religious Association or YWCA, which, with the Athletic Association, organized most campus activities. More »
  • Calvin Coolidge

    1923 Calvin Coolidge speaks at Commencement

    Calvin Coolidge, Vice President (and later President) of the United States, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1924 Mrs. Corinne Roosevelt Robinson speaks at Commencement

    Mrs. Corinne Roosevelt Robinson, sister of Teddy Roosevelt, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Rev. George T. Smart

    1925 George T. Smart

    Upon President's Cole's death in 1925, the Board of Trustees had little by way of searching for a successor. To fill the gap, Dr. Rev. George T. Smart undertook the role of Acting President (1925-1926). More »
  • New Power House, 2009

    1925-  Power House, New

    The "new" Power House was built in 1925. More »
  • Mabel Tingley Woolley, 1925, photographer: Bachrach

    1925 Mabel Tingley Woolley

    Mabel Tingley Woolley was a member of the class of 1925. The Woolley Room in Mary Lyon Hall, originally the Seminary library, was named for her. More »
  • Ruth S. Berry, 1925, photographer:Bachrach

    1925 Ruth S. Berry

    Ruth S. Berry was a member of the class of 1925. In 1983, a room in Mary Lyon Hall was dedicated to her through a gift she made to renovation. More »
  • 1925 The Honorable Arthur P. Rugg speaks at Commencement

    The Honorable Arthur P. Rugg, Chief Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Dr. John E. Park

    1926-1944 John Edgar Park

    The Reverend John Edgar Park (1879-1956) became president in 1926. Wheaton's growth and vitality during Park's presidency is particularly noteworthy: student enrollment increased steadily and the building program begun by President Cole continued. J. Edgar Park retired in 1944 at the age of 65 and was named President Emeritus. More »
  • Everett Hall, date unknown

    1926-  Everett Hall

    Plans for this dormitory were drawn by Cram & Ferguson, and President Samuel Valentine Cole was seeking funding when he suddenly died in 1925. Acting President and Trustee Dr. George T. Smart brought Everett into being. At the building's dedication in the fall of 1926, Miss Everett lit the first fire upon its hearth. Everett Courtyard, where seniors and Trustees "line up" for the Commencement parade, was home for many years to the beloved "Elephant Tree," a huge copper beech. Its demise in the late 1980s resulted from years of students trampling on its surface roots. The ground floor of the north section, originally a dining hall, was converted into the College Bookstore in 1978. In 1992, the Bookstore was moved to the Old Town Hall, and in 1993 the space it had occupied in Everett was converted to student rooms and named Everett Heights. More »
  • Amen-Gulley House, date unknown

    1926-  5 Howard St./ Amen-Gulley House/ Clapp House

    Purchased from Blanch Wood in 1926, 5 Howard Street is commonly thought to have been constructed by Laban Wheaton from two ells taken from different buildings he owned. The house was remodeled in 1929 and 1945 to house college workers. Used for staff and faculty housing, the house was usually named for its current occupant. More »
  • 1926-1940 Art Studio

    The small wood-frame, barn-like structure was built by college carpenters in 1926 between the Doll’s House and Gymnasium. This fire hazard of a building had no heat or running water, making it inconvenient and unusable for several months of the year. The Studio was demolished in 1940 to make room for the Student Alumnae Building. More »
  • Edith White, date unkown; photographer: Warren Kay Vantine Studio

    1926 Edith M. White

    Edith M. White was a Professor of Economics from 1926 to 1930 and Dean of Freshman from 1929 to 1935. More »
  • Edith M. White

    1926 Edith White changes admission policy

    In 1926, admissions secretary Edith White changed the admissions policy to make the inclusion of a photograph with the application optional, and not mandatory. More »
  • 1926 John Livingston Lowes speaks at Commencement

    John Livingston Lowes, Professor of English at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1927-1963 33 Taunton Ave./ Hodges House/ Wetherell House

    The College purchased this house from Thomas and Jessie T. Wetherell in 1927 for a faculty residence. After it was renovated, it was used for housing male workers, so it was sometimes called the "YMCA." It was demolished in 1963. More »
  • 1927 Dr. William Herbert Perry Faunce speaks at Commencement

    Dr. William Herbert Perry Faunce, President of Brown University, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1928 Pan and pegasus symbols established

    The Alumnae Council standardizes the class rings to the Pan and Pegasus designs. More »
  • 1928 Kathryn Newell Adams is an Honorary Degree Recipient

    Kathryn Newell Adams, President of Constantinople Woman's College, is an Honorary Degree Recipient. More »
  • 1928 Mrs. Cornelia James Cannon speaks at Commencement

    Mrs. Cornelia James Cannon speaks at Commencement. In the same year, she was awarded with an honorary degree. More »
  • Peacock Pond, 2009, photographer: Madeleine Goldsmith

    1929-  Peacock Pond

    A marsh was excavated and transformed into Peacock Pond, which, in its first years, was used for swimming, boating and skating. Seniors first successfully floated their candles on it in 1930. The Greek Metcalf Temple on the pond's western shore was constructed in 1935 using pillars from the porch of the original section of Old Metcalf Hall. A wooden bridge built in the 1930s, was replaced with a cement bridge in 1957. More »
  • 1929 Irving Babbitt speaks at Commencement

    Irving Babbitt, Professor at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Sarah Young

    1946-1909 Sarah Belle Young

    Sarah Belle Young was Professor of English, Registrar, and Secretary to the Faculty from 1909 to 1946 (Registrar Emerita, 1946-1973). In 1946, she was awarded as an Honorary Degree Recipient. Miss Young experienced many changes at Wheaton, having arrived in the days of the Seminary, with all of its strict rules. She served as Registrar […] More »