Wheaton College Norton, Massachusetts
Wheaton College
College History

Academics

1900s

  • Bowling Alley, 1904

    1884-1908 Bowling Alley

    A 50th Anniversary gift to the Seminary from Eliza Baylies Wheaton, the Bowling Alley was constructed in 1884 between the apple orchard (in back of Mary Lyon Hall and in front of Knapton) and the edge of the Dimple. This little building had two alleys and stained-glass windows. The December 1884 Rushlight describes the bowling alley as “a treasure, for perfect in every part, it is this little building, with its stained glass windows, its tasteful decorations, its two alleys, and other complete appointments for the game. We are sure there are few in the state which can compare with it.” More »
  • Samuel V. Cole

    1897-1925 Samuel V. Cole

    Reverend Dr. Samuel Valentine Cole, first president of Wheaton College, was one of the most influential figures in the college's history. He served as a trustee from 1893 to 1925, Secretary of the Board from 1895 to 1908, President of the Board from 1908 to 1925, and President of the College from 1897 until his death in 1925. More »
  • 1900 Baths limited

    Students are allowed only two baths per week. More »
  • Tree Planting ceremony, date unknown

    1900 First class tree is planted

    According to the Taunton News (June 14 1900), the senior class chose an already standing elm tree and conducted their commencement exercises around it. With time, the tradition evolved into each senior class choosing a day during the second week of April to plant a new tree on campus as a class gift. More »
  • Chapin Hall, 1900

    1900-  Chapin Hall

    Chapin was the first brick building at Wheaton, and the first structure to be placed according to the campus plan devised in 1897/8. More »
  • 1900 Dr. George Herbert Palmer speaks at Commencement

    Dr. George Herbert Palmer, Professor of Philosophy at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Marion Gebbie in bicycling group

    1901 Marion Gebbie

    Marion Gebbie, class of 1901, a quiet and shy woman who suffered from Paget's Disease, devoted her life after graduation to her parents and to charitable works. More »
  • 1901 Reverend Joseph Dunn Burrell speaks at Commencement

    Reverend Joseph Dunn Burrell of Brooklyn, New York speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1902-1960 Carter Cottage/ Dr. Mack's House

    Originally located on East Main Street east of Seminary Hall (Mary Lyon Hall), this house was owned by Mrs. Wheaton who sold it to Mr. Gibbs ca. 1851. Wheaton Seminary acquired it in 1902 as part of the Boynton Estate. The house was occupied for many years by Dr. Walter McIntire, Professor of Philosophy from 1914 to 1941. From 1941 until 1960, the house was occupied by Professor of Philosophy Holcombe Austin and his family.Carter Cottage was sold and moved to its present location at 78 Taunton Ave. in 1960 to make way for Watson Fine Arts Center. During the process of moving, the ell broke off the house. More »
  • Watson_kittredge_34-220x321

    1902 Jeannette Kittredge Watson

    Jeannette Kittredge Watson, a member of the class of 1902 was wife of Thomas J. Watson, Sr., the founder of International Business Machines (IBM). Mother of four children, and member of IBM's board of directors for many years. More »
  • Portia Washington

    1902 Wheaton's acceptance policies are tested

    Wheaton's unofficial policies barring the admittance of African-American students were truly tested in 1902. Booker T. Washington, the founder of Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute, and the most prominent African-American in the country at that time, requested that his daughter, Portia, be admitted to Wheaton. More »
  • 1902 Reverend James G. Vose speaks at Commencement

    Reverend James G. Vose of Providence, Rhode Island speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Class Book, 1909

    1903 First class book published

    The first senior class book is printed. More »
  • Gymnasium, March 1914, photographer: Dr. Nunton Miller

    1903-  Admissions Center/Pappas Fitness Center/Gymnasium

    Completed in 1903, the gymnasium was designed by George Tilden of Rotch and Tilden. The building was converted to the Admission Center in 1966, after construction of the Clark Recreation Center. After the Haas Athletic Center opened in 1991, the old swimming pool was floored over to create the Pappas Fitness Center. More »
  • 1903 Hammond LaMont speaks at Commencement

    Hammond LaMont of New York, New York speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Eliza B. Wheaton by John Alexander, 1904

    1904 Mrs. Wheaton sits for portrait

    Eliza Baylies Wheaton sits for a portrait by renowned painter John W. Alexander. More »
  • Laundry & Power House, 1914

    1904-  Doll's House/ Old Power House/ Laundry/ Tower Hall

    This building served as the Power house and laundry until 1925, when a third floor was added and it was remodeled into a residence. Called "Tower Hall" at that time, it was commonly referred to as the "Doll's House" by 1931. More »
  • 1904 The Honorable Charles E. Littlefield speaks at Commencement

    The Honorable Charles E. Littlefield, a Congressman from Maine, speaks at Commencement. Learn more about the Honorable Charles E. Littlefield from Wikipedia More »
  • Caldwell House

    1905-  34-36 E. Main St./ Caldwell House

    Acquired in 1905, 34-36 East Main Street, this house is probably the one which was deeded to Laban M. Wheaton by his father with his home farm. It was apparently sold and bought back again by Mrs. Wheaton, and was willed to the Seminary as part of the residue of her estate. Originally used to house male faculty and their families, it was made into two apartments in 1944, and further subdivided into three apartments in 1955, and now houses faculty and staff. More »
  • The barn that was on the site of Dimple, date unknown

    1905-  The Dimple

    The land surrounding the Dimple was once part of a farm owned by Judge Laban Wheaton. Until 1905 a large barn and several elm trees stood in a natural depression in the ground. When the chapel was built in 1917, fill from the Dimple was used in the construction thus expanding the size of the Dimple. It was not until 1920 that the Dimple received its official name. More »
  • White House, July 1998, photographer: Travis Rilley

    1905-  White House/ 13 Howard St./ La Maison Blanche

    Originally used to house male help, it was renovated in 1927, and was the French house until 1937. While the French house, it was required that students speak only French. If you had guests or did not speak French, you had to talk quietly or behind closed doors. It is now used for student housing. More »
  • 17-19 Howard St., July 1998, photographer: Travis Riley

    1905-  17-19 Howard St./ King Cottage/ Riddell House

    Mrs. Wheaton called this the "Double House" when she rented it to two families. She then left it to Wheaton College in her will. King Cottage was the infirmary from 1908 to 1954, when it was remodeled into three faculty apartments and rededicated the Riddell House in honor of Agnes Riddell, Professor of Romance Languages, 1922-1940. Miss Riddell was Acting Dean from 1923 to 1925, and Professor Emerita from 1940 until her death in 1950. More »
  • Eliza B. Wheaton Obituary, 1905

    1905 Mrs. Wheaton dies

    Eliza Baylies Chapin Wheaton dies on June 2, at the age of 95. More »
  • 1905 Bliss Perry speaks at Commencement

    Bliss Perry, Editor of Atlantic Monthly, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • President's House, 1901

    1905 Mrs. Wheaton's house converted

    The trustees designated Mrs. Wheaton’s house as the President’s residence. President and Mrs. Cole have previously been living with students and teachers in the Boarding House, Metcalf Hall. More »
  • 1906 Reverend Arcturus Z. Conrad speaks at Commencement

    Reverend Arcturus Z. Conrad speaks at Commencement. More »
  • 1907 Reverend George Hodges speaks at Commencement

    Reverend George Hodges, Dean of the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Emerson Hall, 1908

    1908-  Emerson Dining Hall

    Emerson and Larcom Halls were both designed by Ripley & Russell and built in 1908. Emerson Dining Hall appeared in Good Housekeeping Magazine as one of the most beautiful dining halls in the U.S. Originally Emerson had an attractive open terrace used for outdoor teas, from which spectators could watch plays performed in the Dimple. The terrace was roofed over and transformed into a glassed-in porch in1923-24, to accommodate an increased student enrollment. An addition was built to connect Emerson with Everett Hall in 1926. In 1950, the Faculty Dining Room was added, the kitchen and bakery enlarged, and basement rooms finished for food preparation. The Faculty Dining Room was renovated in 1981, and the President's Dining Rooms were created. More »
  • Larcom Hall

    1908-  Larcom Hall

    Designed by Ripley and Russell, this dormitory and Emerson Dining Hall were both built in 1908. During the 1938 hurricane part of the cornice was blown off, and the rest was taken down over the Christmas vacation. As a result, the chimneys seemed too tall in proportion, and they were lowered to a "respectable" height in 1939. The "false-teeth" roof over the main door was removed during Christmas vacation in 1939. More »
  • Barrow Green, July 1998, photographer: Travis Riley

    1908-  Barrows Green

    The green between Chapin, Larcom, and Emerson Dining Hall, created in 1908, was for many years the site for outdoor basketball games. Games at the time, played with a peach basket mounted on a pole (no backboard), resulted in scores of 2-3 or 4-0. This was also where members of the sophomore class constructed the daisy chain carried by the seniors on Senior Day. The space was named “Barrows Green” in 1953 to honor retiring Assistant Professor of Botany and Biology Florence L. Barrows. The plan to make the space a bowling green never materialized. More »
  • 1908 Talcott Williams speaks at Commencement

    Talcott Williams, Director of the School of Journalism at Columbia University, speaks at Commencement. At Wikipedia More »
  • 1909 Reverend Edward Cummings speaks at Commencement

    Reverend Edward Cummings of South Church in Boston, Massachusetts, speaks at Commencement. More »
  • Ida Josephine Everett

    1912-1905 Ida Josephine Everett

    Miss Everett taught English and Psychology from 1906 to 1913 and English Literature from 1912 to 1928, and was the first Dean of the college from 1912 to 1921. A native of Walpole, she graduated from Mount Holyoke College, received her A.M. from Bowdoin, studied at Oxford, and completed all but her dissertation for the […] More »
  • Sarah Young

    1946-1909 Sarah Belle Young

    Sarah Belle Young was Professor of English, Registrar, and Secretary to the Faculty from 1909 to 1946 (Registrar Emerita, 1946-1973). In 1946, she was awarded as an Honorary Degree Recipient. Miss Young experienced many changes at Wheaton, having arrived in the days of the Seminary, with all of its strict rules. She served as Registrar […] More »