Lyons Den/ Crown Victoria/ Polo Diner/ Bill's
This Taunton Avenue diner first advertised in the Wheaton News in June 1950. At "Bill's," in 1952, pizza cost 15 cents. The diner operated for many years under the name "The Polo Diner," and many will remember the knotty-pine paneled booths, the formica tables and counters, the juke box, and Coke in bottles!
The College purchased the property, including the laundromat next door and the small house on the corner of Howard Street in 1988. It remained empty for several years, then reopened briefly as the "Crown Victoria."
During spring semester of 1996, the Class of 1998 renovated the interior, and the building reopened as "The Lyons Den" student-operated coffee house.