Edith M. White, Professor of Economics from 1926 to 1930 and Dean of Freshman from 1929 to 1935, built this house in 1929.
Miss White bequeathed "Hollyhock House" to the College in 1935. For many years this house was occupied by the Dean of the College or the Dean of Students.
Shortly after the house was built, Miss. White held a contest to decide what to do with the garden in the back and to try and find a name for the house. Miss Ethel Richmond, one of the Library staff, submitted a drawing of a hollyhock garden, and won both contests.