Alumnae Guest House/ Old Nursery School
Built in 1931 entirely by college workmen under the direction of Mr. Cutler in cooperation with the Education and Psychology Departments, the Nursery School cost $10,400.
Founded by Elisabeth Amen, Professor of Psychology, after she had studied such schools in Great Britain, it was one of the first laboratory nursery schools in the U.S. It opened with 24 children ranging in age from 3 to 5½ years from the towns of Norton, Barrowsville, Chartley, Attleboro and Mansfield. One dollar per month was charged, to cover the cost of the mid-morning snack of crackers and milk.
The Nursery School was enlarged in 1937, when a one-way vision observation screen was installed. After the modern Elisabeth Amen Nursery School opened in 1966, the History Department offices were housed in the old school until the Social Science departments moved to Knapton Hall in 1971. At that time, the former nursery school was converted into the Alumnae Guest House. The building is currently used for housing students or language associates.