Madeleine Clark Wallace Library
Wheaton's Library began in a room in Old Metcalf Hall, was moved to the Gymnasium in 1869, and to a specially designed room in Seminary (Mary Lyon) Hall in 1879. The collection was moved to the Chapel Basement in 1918-19. Ralph Adams Cram, the famous architect of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, designed this new T-shaped building in 1923.
The Library's cornerstone was laid in June, 1922. Constructed of brick and Indiana limestone, the Library's portico was designed with columns, a "Juliet" gallery above the central door, and doors on each side, specifically for use in the classical plays offered by the Senior Classes during the 1920s.
Reference was centered on the main floor. The book collection was arranged according to "the alcove system," with study tables and lamps placed in the alcoves. The top floor was empty, but by 1929, stacks were added there to accommodate the growing collection.
The Lobby and marble staircase carried Cram's formal Georgian design inside the Library. During 1999 renovations, the Circulation desk moved to the Lobby.
When the building opened, the seating could accommodate nearly half the number of students in the college. The building also included a delivery room, work room, periodical room, reading room, lecture hall and gallery, seminar rooms, and stack room.
The Cole Memorial Collection and Room was established in 1927. It contains works of English literature and poetry based on the personal library of Samuel Valentine Cole, poet and president of Wheaton from 1897 to 1925. Given by his widow Helen Weiand Cole and his brother William Isaac Cole, the original Cole Room is now named the Merrill Room.
The sky lighted gallery room on the second floor housed a collection of oil paintings loaned to the college by Mrs. T.O. Richardson of Newport, RI. Later, it was named the Clark Room and was used for reserve reading. Between 1980 and 1998 the room held art books and periodicals. In 1998, the art periodicals were moved, and the space used for studying.
The Henry Clay Jackson Wing, added to the Library's west side in 1941, was designed by Caleb Hornbostel and Richard M. Bennett of New York, the winners of the Fine Arts Center Competition and made possible by the Paul Wilde Jackson Fund of Boston. The wing included a Browsing Room (now the new Cole Room), a new books area, a periodical room and stacks for bound periodicals. In 1950 specially-built exhibit cases displayed the Laila Raabe collection of early American glass (now in Watson).
In 1961, when a Periodicals Wing was added to the east side of the Library, floors were placed across the atrium to create more stack space. Seating and stack space were doubled. In 1979-1980 a Stair Tower addition to the Library was designed by Mark Mitchell of Gourley, Richmond & Mitchell of Cambridge. The atrium was restored, and a sky-lighted Stair Tower created that connected to new underground book stacks that join the Library to the Science Center.
The Library was named for Mrs. Madeleine Clark Wallace, class of 1934, in 1984, on the occasion of her 50th reunion. The Archives and Special Collections was named in honor of Marion Gebbie, class of 1901. The Merrill Room is named in honor of Miss Marian Merrill, a 1922 Wheaton graduate. In 1972, when her class had its 50th reunion, the Merrill Room was dedicated to her. A lounge on the main level of the Library Stair Tower is named in honor of Virginia Loeb Weil. The Clark Room was named in honor of Kate Upson Clark, class of 1869, a well-known author and lecturer and trustee from 1906 to 1935.