A marsh was excavated and transformed into Peacock Pond, which, in its first years, was used for swimming, boating and skating. Seniors first successfully floated their candles on it in 1930. The Greek Metcalf Temple on the pond's western shore was constructed in 1935 using pillars from the porch of the original section of Old Metcalf Hall. A wooden bridge built in the 1930s was replaced with a cement bridge in 1957.
A contest to name the pond resulted in "Peacock Pond" or "Peacock Mirror" because the Chapel weather vane is reflected on its surface.