Plans for this dormitory were drawn by Cram & Ferguson, and President Samuel Valentine Cole was seeking funding when he suddenly died in 1925. Acting President and Trustee Dr. George T. Smart brought Everett into being. At the building's dedication in the fall of 1926, Miss Everett lit the first fire upon its hearth.
Everett Courtyard, where seniors and Trustees "line up" for the Commencement parade, was home for many years to the beloved "Elephant Tree," a huge copper beech. Its demise in the late 1980s resulted from years of students trampling on its surface roots.
The ground floor of the north section, originally a dining hall, was converted into the College Bookstore in 1978. In 1992, the Bookstore was moved to the Old Town Hall, and in 1993, the space it had occupied in Everett was converted to student rooms and named Everett Heights, because the beds are "lofted."
In 1938 and 1939, the student rooms and stairways were repainted, "and the green color omitted." A Faculty Parlor, "Rose Parlor," was used for faculty teas three afternoons in the week and after-dinner coffee on Sundays by 1934. Groups of seniors were invited to meet the faculty at these coffees. In 1938, a section of the basement was "fixed up" as a classroom for Mrs. Ballou's Dramatic Theory and Practice course.
This residence hall was named for Ida Josephine Everett. Miss Everett taught English and Psychology from 1906 to 1913 and English Literature from 1912 to 1928, and was the first Dean of the college from 1912 to 1921.