5 Howard St./ Amen-Gulley House/ Clapp House
Purchased from Blanch Wood in 1926, 5 Howard Street is commonly thought to have been constructed by Laban Wheaton from two ells taken from different buildings he owned.
The house was remodeled in 1929 and 1945 to house college workers. Used for staff and faculty housing, the house was usually named for its current occupant, and has been called the Clapp, Wheeler, and Norton-Banning House, among other names.
Mr. Clapp, who is pictured in the 1911 Norton Bi-Centennial Program, frequently told his niece Lucille Clapp Zwicker W1937 that he had attended Wheaton, and an F.A. Clapp is listed as having advanced to junior class status in the catalogues (1874/75). Mr. Clapp ran a stable, and was the Highway Surveyor and Road Commissioner from the age of 22. He served as constable for more than 25 years.
The name most commonly given to this house is the Amen-Gulley House, for its long-time inhabitants Elisabeth Wheeler Amen, Professor of Psychology and Education, 1925-1968, and founder of the Nursery School; and Elsie E. Gulley, Professor of History, 1925-1954.