Observatory/ Cheese Box
In 1874, to celebrate the Seminary's 40th Anniversary, Mrs. Wheaton purchased a 4" refracting telescope (which is in the Archives) from the famed London firm of John Browning. Local workmen built a small observatory to house it.
The Seminary's first observatory was located at the edge of the Dimple near the Bowling Alley and later tennis and basketball courts. It was replaced with a new Observatory, in the field in back of the President's House, in 1917.
Because of its shape, the structure was familiarly known as "The Cheese Box."