This residence hall was built in 1911, designed by Ripley & Russell as a companion building to Larcom Hall. The railing around the roof, which was made of wood, was removed in 1940. All of the Upper Campus dormitories had such railings, which were gradually removed following the 1938 hurricane. With Cragin's railing vanished the "Cragin Owl," which had perched for many years above the central shield, staring devotedly at the Chapel's beautiful peacock weathervane.
The building was named for Mary Jane Cragin, a Seminary teacher of mathematics, natural science, mental philosophy, and general literature from 1851 to 1858. In 1867-68, she prepared for teaching at the State Normal School at Bridgewater MA (opened in 1840).