Designed by Ripley and Russell, this dormitory and Emerson Dining Hall were both built in 1908. During the 1938 hurricane part of the cornice was blown off, and the rest was taken down over the Christmas vacation. As a result, the chimneys seemed too tall in proportion, and they were lowered to a "respectable" height in 1939. The new heights were approved by architects Hornbostel and Bennett, winners of the Fine Arts Center Competition and designers of the Student Alumnae Building.
The "false-teeth" roof over the main door was removed during Christmas vacation in 1939. Several May Day Queens and their courts had been seated beneath that roof.
The dormitory was named for Lucy Larcom, who wrote and published poetry from a young age. She caught the attention of John Greenleaf Whittier while working in the Lowell mills, where she and her sister published in The Lowell Offering. After attending Monticello Seminary in Ohio, she taught at Wheaton in the 1850s and 1860s.