34-36 E. Main St./ Caldwell House
Acquired in 1905, 34-36 East Main Street, this house is probably the one which was deeded to Laban M. Wheaton by his father with his home farm. It was apparently sold and bought back again by Mrs. Wheaton, and was willed to the Seminary as part of the residue of her estate. Originally used to house male faculty and their families, it was made into two apartments in 1944, and further subdivided into three apartments in 1955, and now houses faculty and staff.
The Caldwell House was named in 1944 in memory of Wheaton Seminary's first principal, Eunice Caldwell Cowles, who remained a lifelong friend of Mrs. Wheaton.