Ann E. Carter
Ann E. Carter was a seminary teacher from 1862-63 and 1866-71. Educated by her father, Ann E. Carter became a teacher at Wheaton in 1862-63, then withdrew because of poor health. Returning in 1866, she remained until her death, teaching history, literature and English composition.
In 1871 she and Maria Mellus lived in the Carter House, which was named for her. They became the first unmarried women teachers allowed to live outside the Boarding House. Willed to the Seminary, the house was sold and the proceeds used for scholarships. Her students established the Carter Memorial Lectureship in her memory, the first being given on 11 June 1886.