The Rushlight is created
The first Rushlight was published in 1855. Founded by Lucy Larcom, it is one of the oldest college literary magazines in continuous publication. As early as 1859, editing The Rushlight was turned over to the Senior Class, and came to be closely associated with the Psyche Society.
It's motto, "A Rushlight, flickering and small, is better than no light at all" was penned by Lucy Larcom.
Until The Wheaton News was founded in 1921, and the Wheaton Alumnae News (now the Wheaton Quarterly) was established in 1922, The Rushlight filled both these functions. Thus early issues of The Rushlight should be consulted for news items and information about alumnae activities.