Tina Stiles ’92

Associate director of corporate quality assurance training
Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company

Tina Stiles ’92I wish I could say that I had a structured path or plan to my career in pharmaceuticals, but it was really sheer luck—and the skills I gained at Wheaton.

Even my major was something I fell into. I took “Anthropology 101” with Donna Kerner during my freshman year and was hooked. Nothing had ever interested me that much, and I knew then I had to pursue anthropology as a major.

In the second semester of my senior year, I was looking for a part-time job. (I had a light schedule and wanted to make some money in preparation for life after graduation.) Through the Filene Center, I found a part-time research job with Boston Scientific in Mansfield, Mass. That part-time job turned into a full-time job after graduation and eventually into a career in pharmaceuticals.

At Wheaton, I learned how to think critically, research a subject thoroughly and present the information logically, and these skills helped me immensely at Boston Scientific and beyond. In a short period of time, I was able to show my employers that I could manage a project, solve problems, and present what I learned with confidence and with the skills they needed.

I’ve been employed in this field for 20 years. After Boston Scientific, I worked for Goodrich Aerospace and then Wyeth, which is now Pfizer. In 1997 I got my M.B.A. from Bryant University.

Now I manage the enterprise-wide learning management system that houses Millennium’s training. I interact and engage with key training and development stakeholders across the company. I also manage the training programs that are required for compliance to regulatory agency requirements.

I think that anyone who wants to get into pharmaceuticals or biotech should look for internships to get their feet wet. Many pharmaceutical companies only hire candidates with experience, and a summer job or an internship is a great way to get that experience.

Keith Nordstrom photo

About Mary Howard

Mary Howard ’85 is a freelance writer and editor who lives in southeastern Connecticut.