Take charge

Cory Tyszka ’00 

Cory Tyszka '00Law school student

Professional tutor

Cancer survivor

Wheaton Fund supporter

• Faces challenges head-on: “I had thyroid cancer. I was diagnosed in 2006 when I was 28 and treated in 2007. In 2008, just when I felt like I was getting back to normal, my doctors found more malignancy in several lymph nodes and I had to undergo a neck dissection. That’s when I realized how precious life is and the importance of really living it. I didn’t want to be a slave to my job and needed to call my own shots, so I decided to go to law school at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University.”
  • Relies on resources: “I have stayed in touch with my incredible chemistry professor Elita Pastra-Landis over the years. She has been so supportive, first when I changed direction from science to education and now as I transition from education to law. She helped me see the connections between my science background and law, and she reminded me that I have what it takes to succeed.”
  • Courts success: “I contribute to the Wheaton Fund every year because Wheaton was a very special place for me, and I hope that my gift to the college can help make it special for others. As a Mary Lyon Society member, I have made a five-year pledge to support the Go Beyond campaign. In this economy, it is more important than ever to help out. It takes financial support to attract and retain professors who not only are experts in their fields but also are engaging and accessible.”

Support Wheaton

Call 800-896-3145 (option 2) or visit wheatoncollege.edu/giving

Photo by Brandon Heath