Miller to be inducted into USTA New England Hall of Fame

Longtime women’s and men’s head tennis coach Lynn Miller has been selected for induction into the United States Tennis Association (USTA) New England Hall of Fame at the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, R.I.

The Hall of Fame recognizes tennis players and nonplayers in New England whose achievements as sportsmen or sportswomen are worthy of the highest commendation and recognition, or whose contributions as officials or individuals in a tennis-related activity have been outstanding over a significant period of time.

Miller has been prominent in the New England tennis world for more than 30 years as a coach, player, teacher and camp counselor. Now in her 32nd season as the women’s head coach and 22nd as men’s head coach at Wheaton, she has been named New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Coach of the Year on the women’s side three times (2003, 2009, 2010) and twice on the men’s side (2005, 2010). She was also named the USTA Coach of the Year in 2010 and United States Professional Tennis Association New England Coach of the Year on multiple occasions.

“I was so excited when I opened the letter from the USTA indicating that I had been selected for induction,” said Miller. “I actually started to cry when I read the letter. This induction means a lot to me and somehow makes me feel more ‘validated’ in a way that I haven’t felt before. I am extremely appreciative of this honor.”

Miller owns an all-time coaching record of 331­–211–2 (.610) in women’s tennis and has guided her team to 10 or more wins in 21 of her 31 seasons at the helm of the program. Year in and year out, Miller also sends numerous individuals to compete in the NCAA and International Tennis Association national tournaments.

When the college became a coeducational institution in 1988, Miller added men’s tennis coaching duties to her résumé. Under her guidance, the men’s program owns 15 seasons of 10-plus victories over a 22-year span and boasts a cumulative mark of 226–129 (.637). Overall, Miller has helped the Lyons advance to the finals on five occasions—all while continuing to coach the women’s squad.

Photo by Amie Rosenblum ’12