Kevin “Max” Swanson ’13

Kevin “Max” Swanson ’13Major: History with a European concentration (economics minor)

Sport: Soccer (captain)

Extra points: League of Historical Studies

Success on the field: I try to be a good student-athlete role model for my teammates because their success ultimately reflects on the team and me. The most important aspect for success has to be dedication. A day full of classes can be exhausting, but being able to play your heart out on the field, even when you are stressed and tired, is essential for success.

Success in the classroom: Academic success comes from the satisfaction of knowing I have tried my hardest and that, ultimately, I have learned something new from whatever I am studying. Having a coach who understands the importance of academics allows me to know that going to class and getting my work done is always supported.

Winning combination: Passion. If I were not excited by the work that I am doing on the field or in the classroom, I would find it difficult to get the drive necessary to succeed in either. Sometimes the hardest thing is time management. Between classes and soccer, there is very little time to get everything done. Finding the right balance between socializing and getting work done is something you need to learn early on so that you are not stressed out come the end of the semester.