Works of heart

Senior studio art majors showcased their creations in an exhibition in Beard and Weil Galleries this spring, under the direction of faculty advisor Professor Claudia Fieo. “From Mars Art Studios” featured the work of 22 students. Here is a sampling of their creations and artist statements.

Marisa Picariello ’11

Marisa Picariello ’11“I chose to paint some of the broken shells from my collection because I find them to be the most interesting and unique. Every chip and crack reflects how fragile nature can be.”

Dania Piscetta ’11

Dania Piscetta ’11“Currently, there are three major threats to the existence of mankind: global warming, overpopulation and the loss of potable water. In my larger triptych, I depict these three disasters. The scenes I have imagined are futuristic and surreal. I chose to represent the human figure as genderless and bald to symbolize a generic human, a figure that could connect with any audience. Echoing religious representations of the Last Judgment, my triptych is a warning, a message of caution for mankind.”

Benner Boswell ’11

Benner Boswell ’11Benner Boswell ’11“I believe that small actions can constitute revolutions, if they are taken consciously and seriously. This gives individuals a great power to address and redress the environmental crisis. As I have maintained my own hydroponic farm this semester, I have learned about what food production entails and I have become much more aware of the commitment plants require. It is empowering to eat your own lettuce…. Each sculpture is a repurposed piece of furniture that grows plants in homes (or galleries), utilizing vertical and hydroponic technologies. Some sculptures are designed specifically for food crops, while others are more multifunctional and can successfully house other plants, thus increasing in-home biodiversity. My hope is that each sculpture incites enough interest for people to want to both learn more about the technologies and consider how such a change could take place in their own lives.”

Emiko Kurokawa ’11

Emiko Kurokawa '11“I have often felt that the frenzied order in maps is reflected in how I am as a person and as an artist. There are maps within me (all interconnected, yet tangled at times) that flow towards a direction my life will ultimately take. These ‘inner maps’ are what my three woodblock prints represent. They embody my experiences and memories [from living in and navigating London, Tokyo, Frankfurt and Milan], representing an exploration of my cultural identity.”

Sara Parrish ’11

Sara Parrish ’11“As a double major in economics and studio art, my goal for my senior art project was to create a visual commentary on the mortgage crisis, combining my two academic interests…. Extensive research allowed me to view the situation from multiple perspectives and ultimately make a more informed opinion. I then was able to use the creation of this protest relief print to come to terms with my strong feelings on the subject.”

Ashley Geremia ’11

Ashley Geremia ’11“The complex layering of thoughts and emotions that define an intimate bond are constantly changing and evolving. I have strived to illustrate not only the visual exterior, but also the subtle connections that exist between two people.”

Rosemary Liss ’11

Rosemary Liss '11“To investigate my own connection to the city [of Baltimore] and the temporality of the urban landscape I have chosen to paint old movie theaters. There is something beautiful about the chipped paint and boarded-up windows. Many of these theaters, which at their height had been magnificent and full of life, have been abandoned and left to the natural elements. Others have been redeveloped to fit the needs of the surrounding neighborhood, becoming churches or pharmacies. I see the evolution as symbolic of the shifting patterns within the city…. It is through the layering of color that I explore a tension between life and the once animated buildings. This relationship between the subject and the medium allows me to blur the line of history, breathing life back into my subjects.”

Rebecca Sieburth ’11

Rebecca Sieburth ’11  “There is something inherently satisfying about lending significance to inert materials, creating form and connotation where once there was a shapeless lump. Working with, not against, the playful unruliness of clay in the process of creating this body of work was a thrilling way to engage with and respond to the world around me.”