Merretta Dickinson ’12

Merretta Dickinson 2012Merretta Dickinson ’12, a double major in anthropology and classics, found her true passion thousands of miles from home, working with schoolchildren in Namibia. “I discovered that I have a passion for helping others, one stronger than I had thought,” she says, recalling her work in an after-school program at the Bernhard Nordkamp Center in Katutura. “This work made me less materialistic than I had ever been, extremely grateful for the opportunities that I have been given by my parents, country and Wheaton, and made me realize that I really do want to devote my life to making a difference for people.” The Bowdoin, Maine, native has been awarded a $10,000 Davis Projects for Peace grant to establish a sustainable tutoring program that aims to change lives by helping students with mild learning differences learn to read fluently. She will start tutoring programs in two schools, set up a training program for volunteer tutors, and hold workshops for the schools’ teachers. Her peace project continues work that she took on last summer as a volunteer at a nonprofit organization located just north of Katutura’s capital. “My project for peace will bring opportunity and help some of the dreams of these children become reality. This is not only about individual successes, but also about improving the quality of life for the community in Katutura.”

About Michael Graca

Michael Graca is the college's Assistant Vice President for Communications.