Newsmakers: June Daisley Lockhart ’42

June Daisley Lockhart ’42June Daisley Lockhart ’42 has had a passion for pottery since childhood. At age 90, that love continues. In fact, an article about her in the January issue of Shell Point Life magazine described her as “a driving creative force” for more than a decade in the pottery studio at the Shell Point Retirement Community in Fort Myers, Fla., where she lives. The studio was a big selling point when she and herJune Daisley Lockhart ’42 late husband were looking for a place in the 1990s. Now, every day she can be found there from 8:45 a.m. to noon, making pottery and teaching others. And her work has a high place of honor each week at her church. Her handmade chalices, cruets, pitchers and other items are used during the celebration of the Eucharist. At Wheaton, Lockhart minored in art. Initially, she was interested in a degree in psychology. However, “After one course, I changed my mind and took zoology…. Every time I went to a zoology class I learned something new,” she said in the article. Regarding her pottery, she noted that she does it purely for the joy of it: “I’m not a production potter—someone who creates something that sells well and then repeatedly produces it. There’s a place for that, but I get more pleasure out of figuring out how to do something—problem solving. I make a lot of different things, like pots, decorative pieces, and other items of use. However, once I do it well, I don’t do it anymore.”