A minute with… Onyedikachi Udeoji ’12

Onyedikachi "Kachi" Udeoji '12

Onyedikachi "Kachi" Udeoji '12

Onyedikachi (“Kachi”) Udeoji spent 10 weeks working for Opera Cleveland last summer as a Nancy Porter Fellow. CURTAIN UP: “It was one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. I worked as both a finance and productions intern in preparation for the first performance of the new season, Bizet’s The Pearl Fishers.” ROLE PLAYING:I, fortunately and unfortunately, am one of those people who believes they can do it all and still sleep. So when I was looking for a summer internship I was looking for a way to combine all my interests. At Wheaton I am an economics and music double major, with a minor in statistics. I also have a love affair with fashion. When I visited the Filene Center and an advisor directed me toward the fellowship and the opera, I knew I was in for a good experience.” BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE: “Given that I am majoring in economics and music, being a finance and productions intern for an opera company was just amazing. I got to observe, firsthand, how a nonprofit arts organization raises funds through grants and fundraisers. I also got to see how organizations are forced to restructure to deal with economic difficulty. The finance part helped me observe what I learned in my micro economics classes, while helping with auditions for the orchestra helped train my musical ear. My French classes even came in handy when I had to translate some instructions in the score of The Pearl Fishers.” PERFECT SCORE: “Ideally, I would like to become an international trade law economist. My experience at the opera helped remind me of the reasons I want to be a part of trade negotiations. I want to help make the process of trading more fair and beneficial to underdeveloped countries (specifically, African countries). It may be a lofty goal, but when the world approaches actual ‘fair trade’ I want to be part of that process.”

Photo by Amie Rosenblum '12

About Sandy Coleman

Sandy Coleman is the editor of the Wheaton Quarterly and Senior Associate Director in the Communications Office.