California community web site spotlights swim team

The weather outside might have been frightful in Boston, considering December’s blizzard, but in California it was delightful. So it is no wonder that the members of Wheaton’s synchronized swimming team headed to La Mesa, Calif., for training during winter break.

Swimmer and team co-captain Christiana Butera ’12, who grew up in California, hosted her teammates at her parents’ house near Mount Helix, Calif., according to a news article in the La Mesa Patch. The sleepover on cots, air mattresses and couches may sound like fun and games, but the team was in town for hard work—practicing each day from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. They also held a demonstration for the public at the municipal pool.

“I’ve been an athlete my whole life,” Butera said in an interview. “I’ve done soccer, gymnastics, dance, swimming, basketball and even played for a boys’ flag football team, and this is absolutely the hardest sport I’ve ever tried. People make fun of it because it looks so easy. But the goal of synchronized swimming is to make something difficult look artistic. It really challenges you as an athlete and as an artist. For anyone who thinks it’s easy, try it for 10 minutes. You’ll see how difficult it is.”