Newsmaker: Beth Littlejohn ’03

Beth Littlejohn ’03 embraced cooking early in life—making pizzas and pasta from scratch with her babysitter and preparing meals with her parents. Practice makes perfect.

She now is a sous chef at Coquette Brasserie in Raleigh, N.C. The Culinary Institute of America graduate loves to combine classical technique with southern, Latin or Asian flavors. In August, Littlejohn was one of six finalists competing to spend a year as a chef aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, and the Daily Tar Heel (North Carolina) ran a story about her on July 21, 2010. “I am a chef because I love to cook; I love to feed people; and I love to see them enjoy my creation. It is wonderful that something as simple as food can give such joy,” said Littlejohn, who majored in sociology. One of her most memorable experiences at Wheaton, she said, was cooking a traditional southern meal for students—fried chicken, fried okra and hush puppies—in the dorm kitchen. For the cruise ship judges, the chef made braised pork belly, served with roasted tomato grits, roasted poblano vinaigrette and red cabbage slaw. She didn’t win the competition, but Royal Caribbean awarded all of the contestants a seven-day cruise of their choice. View the video of the competition at: www.allureoftheseas.com