Elizabeth (“Betsy”) Weber ’60

Job title: Co-founder and director, Edge Development Group, Inc., which specializes in international economic development, working extensively in Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.

Volunteer work: She is a member of a committee appointed by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), which encourages women in 18 African countries to start and run businesses to help support their families. She is also a global literacy consultant.

Impact: “Each of these projects in its own small way is actually ‘making peace, forging ties and fighting terror.’ A literate person with a family and a means to support that family will not want or need to be involved in war or terrorism.”

Wheaton’s role: “Coming to Wheaton was my first time away from home. Between sophomore and junior year, I participated in a program in Denmark, a program that opened my eyes to what has become a lifelong passion—to understand how others live and work, their interests, passions, troubles, and how they see themselves, their country, and our country. It’s been a wonderful ride since Wheaton, but I credit my time there as giving me my interest in the wider world, the confidence to meet the challenges life has sent my way, and the impetus to do what I can to improve the world in my own small way.”