Alum praises Wheaton support in Diversity & Democracy

Derron (“J.R.”) Wallace ’07, a Posse Foundation alumnus, and Marshall Scholar, wrote an essay for Diversity & Democracy, a publication of the Association of American Colleges and Universities. In it, he focused on the importance that layers of mentoring can have in developing leadership. He names support from his family, the Posse Foundation, and Wheaton as integral to his success:

“…Posse and Wheaton used their institutional resources to weave a thick web of support through which it was hard to fall. They provided engagement and accountability….

“At every phase of my academic and professional development, nurturing networks, or ‘posses,’ have been integral to my advancement. This model of layered mentorship—with its multiple, linked relationships—is a powerful infrastructure for successful educational and professional trajectories. I am often reminded that leaders and students who succeed are frequently hoisted by a team of supporters. I pay my debt of gratitude to my posses (personal, academic and professional) by extending the circle of support to another generation of students. The potential for meaningful leadership would be immense if educators throughout higher education could do the same.”