Drawn In displays talent, personal perspective

Each year studio art majors present work in the senior art exhibition in the Beard and Weil Galleries as a culmination of their creative experience at Wheaton. This year’s show, Drawn In, under advisor Associate Professor of Film and Art Jake Mahaffy, featured work by 16 students. Here is a sampling of their creations and artist statements:

Chelsea Stephenson '10
“My paintings deal with leaving home, the pressure of being a student-athlete, strong bonds and relationships formed, the bittersweet realization of it all coming to an end, and the hope and fear of what’s to come. Change and the unknown can be frightening and upsetting, but I have come to accept these feelings through the completion of my paintings.”

—Chelsea Stephenson ’10

Brittany King '10
“Nature illustrates a narrative that can always be read, but it is entirely up to the viewer to appreciate its simplicity. In my work, my intent is to illustrate the idea that beauty lies within simple subject matter. The subject matter that I chose for my compositions—barns, pastures, houses and chapels— all reveal architecture aesthetics. Although simple, they all speak a story.”

—Brittany King ’10

Alyssa Kocsis
“Life drawing and the challenge of interpreting three-dimensional forms are ways in which I familiarize myself with things. A visual exploration of the human skeleton offered me new territory to internalize— territory that was physical and personal in nature.”—Alyssa Kocsis ’10

“My work demonstrates an appreciation of both nature and humanity, intertwining them in a whimsical combination. These pieces examine the environmental issues we face presently: a struggle between the preservation of nature against an aggressively expanding society. My concept is inspired by my experiences during a Wheaton service project in New Orleans I participated in this past January.”—Veronica Rogers ’10

Kate Kimball
“Inspired by the following proverb: ‘right when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly,’ I created this ‘artist’s book’ to document my transformation and liberation process.”

—Kate Kimball ’10

Alexander Lewis

“Many icons are not always as they appear to be. Benjamin Franklin is one of these icons. Franklin is often credited as a meaningful contributor to the foundation of the American value system. On the surface this may seem true, yet Franklin’s own life appears to contradict his values. There is more to this American than meets the eye…. By combining the use of graphic techniques with the conceptual foundation of disrupting conventional visuals, I have made an image that provokes the viewer to question the icon.”—Alexander Lewis ’10

Julianne McLane
“My photographs of the ocean, captured at the beginning and the end of the day, represent a world seen through more optimistic eyes. They are the equivalent of an awakening of my spirit and communicate a new perspective on life.”—Julianne McLane ’10

Molly White
“When I think about graduating, I cannot help but reflect on other momentous transitions in my life. I am specifically referring to my shift from childhood to an awareness of the world around me. Looking back on my early life, I am unsure of whether what I remember is true, made up, or understood at all. To me, these memories are like a quilt: chaotic, sentimental and beautiful.”

—Molly White ’10