Community service–in Norton, New Orleans or Ghana–provides a concrete and transformative learning experience that prepares us all to be better scholars, citizens, and leaders. SSSR encourages students, faculty and staff to move beyond a charity-based model of service to one of full and sustainable partnerships in which all participants benefit in significant ways.
But how does SSSR do this?
SSSR staff members:
- Support student-initiated clubs and service projects through our collaboration with SGA's Service, Engagement and Activism (SEA) Board.
- Work with faculty to support experiential learning classes that send students into the community to work with local agencies on programs that make our community a better place to live and learn.
- Create service opportunities that bring together students, staff, faculty, and the community.
- Help YOU develop opportunities to make a difference.
What are some current projects that I can get involved with?
For our most current listing for volunteer needs in our community, check the "Volunteer Opportunities" link at the top right of this page. Here are some ongoing groups that always ready to help.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Best Buds (volunteering with a developmentally challenged child or teen)
- Community Service Council
- Norton Public Schools Tutor Outreach Program & Head Start Volunteer Program