- Arnold J. Toynbee
History is the study of the human past. As professional historians, we in the Wheaton College History Department:
- identify and explain continuities and change in societies over time.
- create narratives based on evidence that we have uncovered and analyzed.
- help students develop a nuanced understanding of human relations that is essential to active and effective citizenship.
As our majors move through our program, they develop skills and habits that are essential in today's professional workplace:
- critical but empathetic thinking
- constructing persuasive arguments
- evaluating information
- recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of analysis
- communicating effectively
We invite you to take a closer look at this exciting and demanding field of study!