Making a statement: Collaborative support

Go Beyond, Campaign for Wheaton

Janet Lindholm Lebovitz ’72

Janet Lindholm Lebovitz ’72 and her husband, Peter

Janet Lindholm Lebovitz ’72 brings a sharp business perspective to her work as a member of the college’s Board of Trustees. After graduating magna cum laude with a double major in economics and math, she earned an M.B.A. from Dartmouth College and a leadership position with Citicorp as vice president of new product development. When she saw the college’s main conference room in Park Hall last autumn, she proposed a renovation to make the tired space work better for Wheaton and offered the financial support to make it happen.

A project is born: The point at which it struck me that I wanted to do something about renovating the conference room was when I realized that the dean uses it to meet with students and families and the president meets with visitors there.

Small project, big impact: This conference room needs to represent all that’s good about Wheaton. It struck me that it was a relatively small project, but it could have a broad impact, inside and outside Wheaton. And I knew it wouldn’t happen without sponsorship.

Design inspiration: Phoebe [Lovejoy Russell ’01] has wonderful style and a wonderful approach to doing the work. Those historical photos of alumnae/i were her idea and they are fabulous, spanning the ages.

Partnership power: Phoebe and I had a great time working on this project. She loved the fact that she was giving back to Wheaton; I loved meeting and working with a Wheaton alumna whom I probably wouldn’t have met otherwise.

What’s in the name: I love the fact that people will call it the Eliza Wheaton Conference Room. It honors the college’s founder. There was no space on the campus named for her.

Recognizing effort: The staff and faculty of the college are constantly giving their very best to make Wheaton the institution that it is. This little project was a way for me to give back and make the environment better and thank them for all that they do to move the college forward.

About Michael Graca

Michael Graca is the college's Assistant Vice President for Communications.